• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Background in Calculus Based Probability

Hi guys, I am preparing to apply for MSCF program in CMU and in the essay B they have asked about calculus based probability. I am from Electrical and Electronic Engineering and have done a course in 2nd year on Probability and Statistics. It covered topics such as Probability, Permutations and Combinations, Binomial Poisson Distribution, Confidence Intervals, Testing of Hypotheses. Is it enough? or what is calculus based probability? I need some guidance on this. Thanks..

No, that's not enough. Look for a Prob/Stat II that covers continuous and discrete probability distributions, expectations, conditional expectations, Central Limit Theorem, Law of Large Numbers. A few other things to look for what will be helpful are an intro to statistical inference and familiarity with measure-based probability theory. My advice would be to take a probability course offered by the Math or Statistics department that isn't specifically for engineers. It will be much more rigorous.

Books:
A Probability Path - Sidney Resnick
Mathematical Statistics - Rice

Any courses or certificate for it? I am looking for an intensive course or online course to catch up on statistics because I want to apply for apply for MSCF program in CMU as well.

Advice needed!

Last edited:
Any courses or certificate for it? I am looking for an intensive course or online course to catch up on statistics because I want to apply for apply for MSCF program in CMU as well.

Advice needed!

My two cents!

I found Harvard Stats 110 by Prof. Joe Blitzstein rigorous and a great first course on classical probability and stats. The course page is here - Statistics 110: Probability. His book complements the classroom lectures, and solving exercises & R simulations will help build the correct intuition.

I would defer to other members here, on whether a solid background in axiomatic probability is needed pre-MFE.

Calculus based probability is typically a 3rd-year or above undergrad course which usually requires Calc I-III as prerequisites.

It is very helpful to have this pre-MFE because many MFE courses including stochastic calculus heavily draw from probability. Some MFE programs also include a probability course (e.g. CMU MSCF) while others do not.

most programs do not accept MOOC courses for the pre-reqs. Several schools host info sessions or webinars online - that would be a better place to address.

Advice needed!

there is also another course on youtube by "actuarial path", the Harvard course mentioned is really good, but I am not the biggest fan of the way he proof things, even tho his way sometimes is much easier. Both of these courses are good over all.

Back