• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Barrons Student Discount

Sometimes I try and post articles from Barron's on the Forum because I really believe that this paper is incredibly insightful and important for students of finance (and mathematics of finance!) to read. But as I was reading it this weekend (a weekend ritual which I enjoy immensely) I was thinking that it would really be beneficial for people to have their own subscription. For example, there is this great article in this week's issue called "Nice Curveball" regarding inverted yield curves and how they might presage a recession. I would like to post it, but it may not become available online for a bit. I think it would be worthwhile for those people who wish to become more familiar with finance or get a job in finance to read this paper.

Here is a link for student subscriptions:
https://users1.barrons.com/registration/do/student/stage1
Normal price: $4 per issue
student price: 52 weeks (comes out every Sat) at $52, $16 for 15 weeks and $12 for 10 weeks
The zip code for Baruch is 10010, and you should list OTHER as the program you are in at Baruch and OTHER for the professor and then write in DAN STEFANICA (he mentioned in during the Calculus refresher).

Or, you could go to your local library and read the free copy they have there. Most decent libraries get Barron's.

I also think the WSJ is great to read, but one step at a time.

Thank you for the insights, Frank. Also...what's your opinion on Financial Times?

Financial Times is another great paper - it is probably considered the best for international financial news and one of the best overall. There are many papers, magazines, online journals, etc....so much to read and so little time!

After sampling some press products such as FT, NYT, WSJ, Economists, etc., I find myself enjoying FT the most. I'm not sure if it's because its style of writing, ways or organizing materials, of just the pinkish paper (j/k). I've subsribed Economists and I'm not that impressed by it any more (maybe I find it too political) and I think that I'm gonna drop it sometime soon. So, I have a feeling that I'm gonna either get FT or Barrons now. Well, maybe both?

Thanks Frank, for the insight.

I try to read Economist (I've read several blurbs that claim it is the best written periodical in the world, the most informative, the standard for businesspeople across thr world, etc.) - but I just find it so dense and boring. My Dad gets it, so I pick it up every week and if I have a chance I read it.

I think you'd be doing great with the Financial Times and Barron's.

Anyone with a home delivery subscription to the NewYork Times? If so, please send me a PM.
As for student subscription to other financial magazine, I wonder if our program has any deal with some professional financial society?
When I was in my phd program, every incoming student received free membership to AMS (American Mathematical Society) and one year free of AMS Bulletin.

Back