• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

BARUCH MFE roomates

Hey guys, so I need to consider this roommate situation pretty seriously. Any Baruch incoming students looking for a new roommate? I have a beagle as well and hes a good couch potato. Anyone who has interacted with him has fallen in love with him. His name is ceasar. (not julius). He wont bother you at all. I can cook if that adds any weight and can clean up pretty well. I merely ask for 1)taste my cooking haha. jk. no but seriously, i have no rules. So whos up for it?
Also, I wouldn't mind commuting from nj to go to school. I don't know how rational that might be considering the gravity of the program. But I prefer to live with MFE students as we can share our knowledge etc and keep talking about all quant finance (fun fun). I am a pretty affable type of person and all who have known me have come to enjoy my company ( i think). so i wouldn't mind having 3 (in total) roommates if that option is cheaper but 2 would be preferable. Also, living in nj can be a pain unless you have a car (which i do have) in order to get the basic necessities. But living in ny everything is walking distance.

Good luck with your search. I also have a small dog named Caesar!

Also, I wouldn't mind commuting from nj to go to school. I don't know how rational that might be considering the gravity of the program. But I prefer to live with MFE students as we can share our knowledge etc and keep talking about all quant finance (fun fun). I am a pretty affable type of person and all who have known me have come to enjoy my company ( i think). so i wouldn't mind having 3 (in total) roommates if that option is cheaper but 2 would be preferable. Also, living in nj can be a pain unless you have a car (which i do have) in order to get the basic necessities. But living in ny everything is walking distance.

Living in NJ is manageable (Newport/JSQ/Grove Street/Hoboken). Stay close to the station that saves a lot of time. You would get all the basic necessities and everything is at walking distance too (5-10mins). Train ride to nearest path station (23rd and 6th; Its a 7-10 min walk to school from here) can range from 15-25 mins depending where you stay from the places mentioned above.

For those not familiar with the NYC area, the train to which Aditya is referring above is known as PATH (acronym for "Port Authority Trans-Hudson".)

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

It is operated by the "Port Authority of New York and New Jersey", which is the same governmental entity that also runs the region's 3 major airports and the bridges and tunnels which connect New York with New Jersey. Also it owns the World Trade Center...

ok thanks Aditya and thanks Myampol. @Jessica, its $1000. I know I can find $1000 rooms in newyork and live with someone but the rooms in ny tend to be very small and hence I am looking for a place where i can get a room big enough for me to fit my desk to study and a book shelf to keep all my textbooks and I have a beagle so its like having another roommate.

ok thanks Aditya and thanks Myampol. @Jessica, its $1000. I know I can find $1000 rooms in newyork and live with someone but the rooms in ny tend to be very small and hence I am looking for a place where i can get a room big enough for me to fit my desk to study and a book shelf to keep all my textbooks and I have a beagle so its like having another roommate.

yeah for $1000 it might be hard to find a decent size room in Manhattan.

I guess one has to decide on one of a few preferences:

1) Need to be close/walking distance to school

and/or

2) Need large rooms etc...

and/or

3) Fixed Budget.

And then find a place based on the main preference...

I pay $900 a month rent in Spanish Harlem. I have one block walk to the 6 train and a 30 minute commute to Baruch. For that I get a very reasonably-sized studio.

I pay $900 a month rent in Spanish Harlem. I have one block walk to the 6 train and a 30 minute commute to Baruch. For that I get a very reasonably-sized studio.

Thanks! So you take the (6) from 110/103/96 St and get off at the 23/28 St? Could you let us know the size of you studio (sq. feet)?

You should also check out apartments in Queens (Astoria... very nice place) or Brooklyn.
I live in Brooklyn (Midwood) and it would take me 40-45 mins to get to Baruch.
How is Harlem nowadays? I heard its not as difficult as it used to be, but I am not sure...

I am looking for 2 roommates, preferably at least one female, to share an apartment in Manhattan. Location wise, I am quite flexible. I'm open to anywhere lower than 96th St on the east side and anywhere lower than 59th on the west. My budget is $1000-$1200. Room size isn't a big issue for me. Cleanness is a must, but I'm not a neat freak. ;) Oh, I prefer to start the lease in September but I'm flexible about that too.

I think we can get a good deal if we look for a 2br-converted 3BR in Alphabetic city, wall street area or UES.

I am looking for 2 roommates, preferably at least one female, to share an apartment in Manhattan. Location wise, I am quite flexible. I'm open to anywhere lower than 96th St on the east side and anywhere lower than 59th on the west. My budget is $1000-$1200. Room size isn't a big issue for me. Cleanness is a must, but I'm not a neat freak. ;) Oh, I prefer to start the lease in September but I'm flexible about that too.

I think we can get a good deal if we look for a 2br-converted 3BR in Alphabetic city, wall street area or UES.

You can get VERY good deals on 3 BR apartments. Very cheap per person and great buildings.

Having roommates will save you in the short term in lower up front cost but what happens if you are left with the apt when they leave prematurely once they find a GF/BF or find a job/internship in another city?
It's a roommate risk, one you should take seriously.
You should think long term and find a place that you can live after school when you get a job. What works today will be unsuitable a year later.

Having roommates will save you in the short term in lower up front cost but what happens if you are left with the apt when they leave prematurely once they find a GF/BF or find a job/internship in another city?
It's a roommate risk, one you should take seriously.
You should think long term and find a place that you can live after school when you get a job. What works today will be unsuitable a year later.
you're going to be in school for a year so get a year lease. Also very hard to bail-out unless you're okay with loosing the security deposit.

I initially I did not think about sharing but would consider sharing a 2 BR in Manhattan, I don't know about a 3 BR (that could be too many people for one apartment). What's a 2br-converted 3 br?

Which Program are you joining?

I initially I did not think about sharing but would consider sharing a 2 BR in Manhattan, I don't know about a 3 BR (that could be too many people for one apartment). What's a 2br-converted 3 br?

2br-converted 3br is a 2br with a big living room that you can turn into a bedroom with an artificial wall or something. :confused:

Which Program are you joining?
Baruch.

2br-converted 3br is a 2br with a big living room that you can turn into a bedroom with an artificial wall or something.

Yes... this is common... and I am completely fine with the idea (in case I am considered as one of the roommates)... :)

Back