• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MS, Quantitative Methods and Modeling

Hey Guys,
I'm very new to the forum and stuff, but it seems like everyone here has a general idea of what they're doing and what not.

Here's a little bit of background on my situaton:

I really want to get into finance and quantitative analysis. However in undergrad I did something completely different from what I want to do now. In college I studied Biology in order to get into Med School. However I realized I hated it and wasn't very interested in biology. I opted into something more along the lines of information technology in healthcare. I've been working in healthcare for the past 3 years, mostly technical jobs like systems administration and etc. But honestly I've always been fascinated with economics, but more so with numbers. This is why I want to pursue something in Quantitative Methods and etc.

My GPA is not stellar due to my bio background, but my Math, Physics and Statistics background are solid (A's and B's).

My cumulative GPA is a whopping 3.0 and my Major GPA is 3.5. I scored a 710 in the GRE math section and 600 in the verbal. (4.5 Writing)

How does my chances look when it comes to getting into the MS Quantitative Methods and Modeling program?

I don't know anyone that's in it, but I know many people who are in Zicklin's School. If anyone can give me any insight to the program and the competitive nature of the program, I'd appreciate it.

Also should I take the GMAT just in case? I don't know if a 710 is good enough for the math section, but I'd really like to lay off it and just apply as soon as possible. Also if you could email me that would be great too.

hong.sunpyo@gmail.com

Thanks!

Hey, I, too, switched my career plan from medicine to finance. I know how being a premed was like so I understand your feelings. Good thing I was an econ/premed back in college so I can use my econ background as a leverage to break into finance. I took the GRE and got 770quant and 590verbal. I already got into a few MFE programs (BU and Rutgers) and still am waiting to hear back from a few more schools. PM or email me at cyclop1998@hotmail.com if you have questions about MFE program.

Thanks dude for your comments. Anyone here actually in the program or use to be in the program? I'm trying to find more info on this. Thanks!

Back