• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch Pre-MFE for economics undergrad

Kind regards to all. I am from a Latin American country, were I obtained an economics undergrad degree. Currently, I am employed at a financial group that, among other things, owns a brokerage firm (where I spend most of my time) and an investment fund. (None of which are very quantitatively focused).

I've always had a knack for mathematics and wanted to pursue a path in the more quantitative side of finance, so I have recently decided to pursue a Master in Financial Engineering or similar (I was undecided between that or something like applied math or statistics).

My economics degree had a fair amount of math, but obviously not quite enough to compete for spots in top MFE Programs.

So my issue is how to bolster my mathematics knowledge and, besides that, how to signal to MFE Programs that my level of mathematics is adequate enough.

I've recently looked at Baruch's Pre-MFE seminars, which seem to be a good option, and have a few questions about it:

- Is it going to happen online this year?
- Does it provide value when applying to programs beside Baruch's MFE? I particularly would like to hear from people who completed the Pre-MFE and went on to go to other programs (or know people who did)?
- Is it recommended for someone with my background?

Besides that, I welcome any suggestions on alternatives that allow me to accomplish my goal of levelling up my mathematics knowledge and signalling that to MFE Programs.

Thanks,
Luis

Luis - here are the answers to your inquiries.

The Pre-MFE seminars are meant to refresh the background material in advanced calculus, proof-based probability, and numerical linear algebra for people planning to do graduate studies in financial engineering. There is emphasis on financial applications and the topics covered are selected to be exactly the ones that have applications in finance.

> - Is it going to happen online this year?

All the 2022-2023 Pre-MFE seminars will be offered online, via Zoom. The times are 7-11pm New York time; three-hour lecture followed by a one hour review session. There is no need to be physically located in New York to take these seminars. Last year, our Pre-MFE students came from Asia, Europe, North America, and South America.

More information can be found at The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College and on this thread on QuantNet.

> - Does it provide value when applying to programs beside Baruch's MFE? I particularly would like to hear from people who completed the Pre-MFE and went on to go to other programs (or know people who did)?

Yes. I am writing numerous letters of recommendations for the students in my NLA Pre-MFE seminar to multiple programs and I know they enroll in several programs beside the Baruch MFE Program. That said. about 20-30% of our students every year took Pre-MFE seminars.

> - Is it recommended for someone with my background?

It is a particularly efficient way to refresh knowledge after being out of school for a couple of years, if that is the case for you.

Good luck! Dan

Back