• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Berkeley Reveals Plan for Academic Center in China

The University of California, Berkeley announced this week that it plans to open a large research and teaching facility here as part of a broader plan to bolster its presence in China.

The public university, which is struggling under budget constraints imposed by the state of California, said the Shanghai center would cater to engineering graduate students and be financed over the next five years largely by the Shanghai government and companies operating here. The program is expected to begin in July 2012.

Several other Berkeley professional schools, including the Haas School of Business and the Law School, are also considering initiatives in China. Berkeley’s chancellor, Robert Birgeneau, and the dean of its engineering school, S. Shankar Sastry, were in Shanghai last weekend to sign the agreement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/w...als-plan-for-engineering-center-in-china.html

I think Education is the major force behind the innovation, which had kept US ahead of the world. But now with the finest educational
institutions going to countries like China we might see a major change where the next Google and Twitter are born.

Assumptions:
1. The education standard of the institutions do not decrease
2. Political environment allows for Innovation. (I think this change has already begun in China with it recently allowing people to hold patents.)

Questions:
Is US victim of its foreign policies?

bansalmohit :But now with the finest educational
institutions going to countries like China we might see a major change where the next Google and Twitter are born.

Yes, but not the one of its government.​
Forgive me for saying this, but only an American could be concerned about it in this way.​
You seem to genuinely believe that if US universities don't do this then Chinese people will not advance their education beyond having multiplication tables shouted at them whilst they write the numbers in chalk on slates.​
Firstly they have some really smart people, given time they can do it for themselves.​

Second, every major university on the planet, plus 7City who run the CQF that Paul Wilmott and I teach is marketing hard to China, we are talking a multi-billion dollar opportunity here.​
Many Chinese would prefer to go to a Beijing Berkeley than an affiliate of Edinburgh or the ETH, but they won't abandon their education because there is no Berkeley option. if there were no US universities then the others with global brands like Oxford, Cambridge, the London School of Economics, Insead, London Business School, Ecole Polytechnique will come in and take the money. They will take some of it anyway, the only option US unis have is whether they take some as well.​
China is a large market for foreign goods and services and will become a huge one and a lot of business in connections between people, a lot of which is university based. Is it in US interests that newly qualified Chinese MBAs, MFEs etc have more friendships with French and British.​
Will this cause China to have the next Google ?​
The PRC is the 2nd largest economy on Earth with much of its growth in the area of tech manufacturing, so its going to have major universities without US help and frankly even if it tried to stop them.​
Most lists of "top universities" have Britain 2nd to the USA in the number it has, indeed England makes 2nd all by itself and some colleges within Cambridge university have won more Noble prizes than France. It's universities suffer neither the corruption nor political interference that makes China 3rd rate in that game.​
Coincidently I was recently approached by the UK Conservative party who currently are in government. They have a nascent program which is basically called "why doesn't Britain produce firms like google ?"​
In addition to the above, Brits speak English and two of the major tech hubs (Soho and Silicon Roundabout) are within brisk walk of the largest financial centre on the planet.​
But it has abjectly failed to produce a single top player in web-driven industries, and before I forget packet driven networks were a British invention,the WWW was invented by a Brit, and in any case the 1st W stands for "World", location shouldn't be an issue anyway.​
The idea that China will leap past the USA on this front merely because it has some franchise US universities is frankly fanciful. Its home market is of course very large and growing so Chinese language websites will only increase, some will grow to comparable size of some large US ones.​
But until China makes it to being a civilised country where someone can blog that they aren't entirely happy about government policy without their children being take away and raped by the police it will continue to have little web presence outside. Amazon carries literally tens of thousands of books that the US government wold rather didn't exist, Google finds things the government would prefer weren't found, LinkedIn is used by parties opposed to the current government, Twitter and Facebook have actually been used in real live bloody revolutions. China can have music download sites but the top level is denied to them for at least a generation.​
On Monday night I had dinner with one of the founders of Salesforce.com who happens to be Canadian and has been asked to help them build new web startups. He's frank about this, it is very very hard. Initiatives exist in every developed country and mostly they are pathetically small.​
This is because Silicon Valley is a unique place. What economists call network effects mean that you can get all the different things you need relatively easily and also that you are in a community that shares the buzz and shop-talk that make the difference between what you can read in books and what makes the next Twitter. Also for every Twitter, Google, etc there are N firms that tried to be them and failed. SV has a culture where being involved in such failure is not fatal for your credibility. There's other stuff, hell I wish I knew what it was because I could share it with the working party.​

Hahahaha ...
You should keep up to date what's going on in the world ..

>>>>>
I think Education is the major force behind the innovation, which had kept US ahead of the world. But now with the finest educational

Assumptions:
1. The education standard of the institutions do not decrease
2. Political environment allows for Innovation. (I think this change has already begun in China with it recently allowing people to hold patents.)

Questions:

Back