• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best Courses to take for MS Statistics (BuySide Interest)

Hi All,

I am currently enrolled in a MS Statistics program and I have the option to take three electives. I'm interested in joining the buyside and working as a quant when I graduate. For my electives, I know Applied Time Series Analysis is a must so I will go with that. Not sure what to take for my other two classes. Some options I were thinking could be Applied Econometrics I & II, Applied Bayesian Analysis, Applied Multivariate and Longitudinal Data Analysis, Neural Networks and Deep Learning. Thanks!

Bayesian pops up a lot, some buy side firms claim to build their methods around it. That would be a good one. Time series is needed, yes; ideally you cover through ARCH/GARCH methods. Applied Multivariate might be the most useful of the ones remaining, but NN and DL are hot topics and could be interesting.
I assume you have at least one course in computational methods already, if not then that needs to be added to the list.

Edit: Listen to Mr. Abbott over me.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am currently enrolled in a MS Statistics program and I have the option to take three electives. I'm interested in joining the buyside and working as a quant when I graduate. For my electives, I know Applied Time Series Analysis is a must so I will go with that. Not sure what to take for my other two classes. Some options I were thinking could be Applied Econometrics I & II, Applied Bayesian Analysis, Applied Multivariate and Longitudinal Data Analysis, Neural Networks and Deep Learning. Thanks!
Consider optimization: LP, QP, NLP.

A of Machine Learning, calibration etc. demands a good knowledge of optimisation.

Nothing takes place in the world whose meaning is not that of some maximum or minimum.

- Leonhard Euler

Just to hop on the thread, is Probabilistic Modeling a valuable skill in the QR sector? Topics like Generalized Linear Models, Exponential Family, Bayesian Nonparametric etc? Wondering if I shall take the elective in Probabilistic Modeling and Machine Learning, or just stick with the Time Series Analysis.

Back