• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best way to find out which discipline of business to go for?

As i am new to the Business field, i was thinking maybe i should first see whats out there in terms of types of business jobs before i fix myself on FE. How did you guys get interested in FE? And what is the best way to find out about the different opportunities within business world(other then FE). I was thinking maybe taking all the math/programming would be a rash decision before i know for sure i want to do this. Perhaps i will end up in marketing or human resources or economy.

I found out finance after I worked at a bank (a cutting hedge bank that went south)... and I started working at a bank by pure chance since my undergrad was electrical engineering.

I became interested in FE after taking a financial derivatives course and writing algo. for statistical arbitrage as a term project. The stat art project was motivated largely after reading "When Genius Failed." I was interested in trying to mimic the LTCM model.

You don't have to take all the math/programming courses to realize you hate it. Taking probability and C++ would probably tell you how much you enjoy doing it for 8 hours a day the next 20 years. A business major knowing C++ only helps you so I encourage you to take a chance to find out before jumping head first into this field.
I'm from a math/CS background so knowing where I fit in this finance world is one of my first learning step.
I find the following books very helpful.
The Complete Guide to Capital markets for Quantitative Professionals
My life as a Quant

You can find all of these and more in my signature or at Master reading list for MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

Back