• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bigger Mess to Haunt US again

About 3 million U.S. borrowers have Alt-A mortgages totaling
$1 trillion, compared with $855 billion of subprime loans
outstanding, according to Inside Mortgage Finance, a trade
publication in Bethesda, Maryland. Of the Alt-A borrowers, 70
percent may have exaggerated their income, said David Olson,
president of mortgage research firm Wholesale Access in Columbia,
Maryland.
Source: Bloomberg News

*****The dance of the mortgage devil is not yet over *****

The Bloomberg story this am estimates that Fannie and Freddie hold about $550 billion of the roughly $1,000 billion in Alt-A's that are outstanding (representing roughly 3 mm mortgagees).

Now you know the rest of the story.

what a coincidence... i msn'd that exact quote to a friend of mine this morning when discussing the current snafu that is the US housing / credit crisis... it boggles my mind to ponder the size of this mess...

We aren't seeing much of a similar effect on the australian housing market even though lending standards have been similarly lax over recent years... what we ARE seeing though, is several of our major banks repeatedly denying having any exposure to these low-doc liabilities, and then announcing big write-downs anyway... Interesting times

I am kind of thinking initiating coverage on Financials and see when can I buy them. I will wait for the bottom which is yet to come, and then buy these goddamn investment bank stocks again ..

btw the new kid on the block will be "Covered Bonds" lemme know if you guys need introductory documents on this ...

I heard a buzz about covered bonds; I'd love to read an intro on them.

I have attached introduction to the covered bonds...

Attachments

• UBS cover bonds LL slides 2008 08 20 (2).pdf
    265.2 KB · Views: 16
Back