• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Biy side vs sell side as quant graduate

Hi,

Im lucky enough to have two offers once I graduate. One is (what sounds like) a desk quant job at a mid-market bank (sell side). At the interview they spoke about teams like eBond, eFx, risk etc.

The other is a tech role (but im allowed to rotate into the quant teams, likely as a quant dev) at an asset manager. The sort of teams I could be in here are quantitative investment teams, but i feel like itd be harder to get closer to the core quant work (because im a, tech grad).

Im wondering what would be better for my career? The initial pay is similar for both, and I anticipate the sellside role being more hard work. But in the end id like to work on the buyside for a fund. But ive also heard that its harder to go up the ladder on the buyside, and for that reason you should work oj the sellside then switch, but I'm unsure how true this is in a quant role.

TLDR: Buy side or sell side as a quant when graduating/entry level?

Back