• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bocconi new Bsc for a quant career

Hey, i’m an high school student interested in a career in quant finance (while having some other doors open). I recently saw the new Bocconi course ‘Mathematical and Computing Sciences for Artificial Intelligence’ (Study Plan).

How do you rate it considering the chance of getting an MFE or MSc in Applied Math/Stats after it?

Another quantitative Bocconi programme is Bachelor in Economic and Social Science (Study Plan)

Is it a better choice in order to persue a career as a quant as Bocconi is mostly renowned for its economics programmes?

Last edited:
Yes, it is a good course. I was a bit skeptical about it when it first came out but I have seen it place well. I don't know if you are Italian, but usually italians students shooting for quant jobs did bsc mathematical engineering at polimi/polito or straight physics/maths bsc at other public unis. In my opinion they are still more rigorous that bocconi bsc, but bocconi has placed very well into masters in data science and quant finance from that bsc, much better than I expected. Overall, I would say that bocconi is a safer choice as it is, in my opinion, easier than classic engineering/maths/physics courses and because, if you grad applications fail, you can still get an msc from bocconi, which is quite good for banking placement. However, if you want a more rigorours preparation and if you know that you are very very good at maths (so you are confident you would do well in that degree), I would probably still do mathematical engineering at polimi and then apply for MFEs.

I have to say though that in terms of curriculum, Bocconi is the most up to date with the current trends and has a lot of interesting courses.

Yes, it is a good course. I was a bit skeptical about it when it first came out but I have seen it place well. I don't know if you are Italian, but usually italians students shooting for quant jobs did bsc mathematical engineering at polimi/polito or straight physics/maths bsc at other public unis. In my opinion they are still more rigorous that bocconi bsc, but bocconi has placed very well into masters in data science and quant finance from that bsc, much better than I expected. Overall, I would say that bocconi is a safer choice as it is, in my opinion, easier than classic engineering/maths/physics courses and because, if you grad applications fail, you can still get an msc from bocconi, which is quite good for banking placement. However, if you want a more rigorours preparation and if you know that you are very very good at maths (so you are confident you would do well in that degree), I would probably still do mathematical engineering at polimi and then apply for MFEs.

I have to say though that in terms of curriculum, Bocconi is the most up to date with the current trends and has a lot of interesting courses.
Thanks a lot for your point of view. Indeed my positive thought on it was due to the new courses like Mathematical Modelling for Finance, 2 courses of Statistics, applied AI ones and also Stochastic processes. Those would be replaced by classical engineering ones (such as electrotechnics or material science) in the older mathematical engineering bachelors from polimi/polito.

Furthermore, Bocconi places well in every field of finance and top graduate programmes (even if I don’t know their placement in MFEs) as I see; or at least better than Polimi/Polito

Isn't it a new course? How do you know of graduation outcomes

Back