• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bolstering MFE application with lowish GPA

I graduated from a non-target school with a 3.2 GPA with a BA in Finance, which post graduation wished I majored in applied mathematics instead. I've been working in corporate finance as an analyst for the past two years. I've been trying to bolster my application to an MFE program and was looking for some suggestions to what I'm currently doing/should do instead.

-For some coding exposure I learned SQL and Python online through popular sites like codecademy, datacamp, and hackerrank
-I completed the BIWS course on modeling
-I plan on taking some graduate level calculus courses in multi-variable and differential calculus as a non-degree seeking student
-I wanted some exposure to C++ and was planning to enroll in quantnet's online courses in C++
-After all of that start a harsh regiment in GRE/GMAT studying as I'll need a high score

Suggestions?

take the baruch pre-MFE series (and maybe retake some of your low grade classes and/or more CS classes too). also ask yourself why u want to do an MFE, the typical quant is interested in math/programming since a young age and usually pursue a STEM degree in undergrad as a result

Last edited:
take the baruch pre-MFE series (and maybe retake some of your low grade classes and/or more CS classes too). also ask yourself why u want to do an MFE, the typical quant is interested in math/programming since a young age and usually pursue a STEM degree in undergrad as a result

I appreciate the response. It is something I've always wanted to pursue early on. I learned java, and javascript before undergrad. Unfortunately, while talking to some advisors and 400 level finance professors at my college on how best to pursue it they all told me to pursue a BA in finance first. Which I found later on as really unhelpful advice as getting my series 7 felt like the equivalent to my BA in finance.

I agree with what quantsmodelsbottles stated above. I'd also suggest
  • Take the GRE before your other steps. I'd suggest the GRE over the GMAT since most applicants use the GRE from other students I've talked to and admissions statistics sites I've seen listing GRE benchmarks more than GMAT ones. I suggest taking it before your other steps since it is probably the simplest part of your plan and its score is valid for 5 years after you take it so you will still have plenty of time for the other steps you need after taking the GRE.
  • Take the Baruch Pre-MFE courses and schedule your coding courses around them. Since the Baruch mathematics courses are given at fixed times from what I've seen and the C++ course from QuantNet is pretty much on-demand with a time constraint, you can schedule the C++ course around the Baruch Pre-MFE ones. If you're strapped for time then it isn't impossible to do both at the same time, but I personally find the ability to take classes 1 at a time and really dig into the specific material for said classes allows me to understand things better and helps me retain the information longer. Though, this is all subject to personal preference I suppose.
Beyond those 2 suggestions, if you want to brush up your Python and/or SQL and get certification for both through Baruch you can on ScriptUni.com. However, I believe that the person who runs ScriptUni is looking to update their SQL course within the coming month.

I have not taken them, but I believe the Baruch pre-MFE courses assumes you have a solid foundation in most of the topics before going into the courses. I wouldn't recommend jumping into Numerical Linear Algebra if you have yet to take a linear algebra course altogether... to the original poster, what courses have you taken in terms of math? You said you plan to take graduate level calculus? I want to assume you mean real analysis or some variant of it, but I believe you are referring to just regular old calc 1, 2, and 3. If so, you have a long road ahead my friend and I would not advise taking the Baruch pre-MFE courses if you have yet to take calc, linear algebra, etc. You need a solid foundation, not a brief run through of topics. That is just my opinion though. No way would I be confident taking those pre-MFE courses without at least taken one course on them prior.

I have not taken them, but I believe the Baruch pre-MFE courses assumes you have a solid foundation in most of the topics before going into the courses. I wouldn't recommend jumping into Numerical Linear Algebra if you have yet to take a linear algebra course altogether... to the original poster, what courses have you taken in terms of math? You said you plan to take graduate level calculus? I want to assume you mean real analysis or some variant of it, but I believe you are referring to just regular old calc 1, 2, and 3. If so, you have a long road ahead my friend and I would not advise taking the Baruch pre-MFE courses if you have yet to take calc, linear algebra, etc. You need a solid foundation, not a brief run through of topics. That is just my opinion though. No way would I be confident taking those pre-MFE courses without at least taken one course on them prior.
Yeah this will be a huge problem considering that he doesnt have a single math courses besides up to calculus 1 or 2 or linear. This will be a long and difficult road ahead of him.

Back