• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Books for young Quants

lcg

Hello

My 15 year old nephew is interested in Math's and Quant techniques. He ask me where he could read up on what Financial Engineering is ! I want to recommend some basic books to him, but they need to be something that a 15 year old can understand.

Any Book recommendations for a 15 year old.

Thanks

Basic Book

You may want to try All About Derivatives by Michael Durbin, Publisher: McGraw-Hill. The book includes
+ The basics of futures, forwards, credit derivatives and options
+ How to calculate the value of different derivatives
+ How to use derivatives to manage and reduce risk.
Some calculus and probability is necessary for some of the pricing, but the book explains the logic very well.
If he loves math and wants to apply it in the business world there are many different tracks he can look into. He should check out the web site www.beanactuary.org

I read the book Understanding Derivatives by Bob Reynolds. I found it very clearly written, and finished it in a few days.

It explains how and why derivatives are used, who uses them, and goes into the basics of some hedging and speculative positions. From Amazon, it's only around $10, which I think is worth it.

Back