• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Boston U MSMF vs Rutgers MQF

Hi guys,

I have got admits from both Boston U MSMF and Rutgers MQF. I am in a bit of fix as to which one to opt for.

About myself: I am a software engineer (B.tech Computer Science) with 3 years of programming experience in C/C++, Linux, Unix, FPGA (Around 1 year of exp as a HFT developer)

Some pointers about the programs

1. Both have around the same fees and same duration (1.5 yrs)
2. NJ has an advantage regarding the location.
3. Rutgers has a wide variety of electives, while Boston doesnt have any electives.

I'd really appreciate if I can get some pointers here.

Thanks in advance,
Gaurav.

Hi diegosanaz,

Thanks for your mail. A/c to placements, Rutgers MQF has got bigger and possibly more names than Boston Uni.
But placement stats alone would not be a strong critirea to judge the programs.

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurav.

Hi diegosanaz,

Thanks for your mail. A/c to placements, Rutgers MQF has got bigger and possibly more names than Boston Uni.
But placement stats alone would not be a strong critirea to judge the programs.

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurav.

Hi Gaurav,

Rutgers University MSMF program is their flagship FE program and MQF takes a back seat to it...At the end of the day it all depends of you and what are your areas of interest in FE..go through the curriculum of both courses and see which closely resemble your area of interest..
If i were you,i would go with Boston University MSMF course..

if not, then what would be? the cleanliness of the bathroom facilities? please understand the point of a terminal degree.

mfegrad: Thanks for your reply. However, I am not looking at just the placement stats because it entirely depends on the individual rather the number/size of the companies visiting the campus. I have enough working experience (in software development in startups and major firms) to say that, trust me.

What I am looking forward to know is how each program shapes your career in terms of the faculty, the program depth (not just the contents), if the program/professors are experts at some selected area of subject that anybody knows of, the location if that gives you some edge. I am specially looking forward to get feedbacks from people who have been/going through these programs as well people living in NJ/Boston who can rate which place is better and why in terms of cost/ease of living etc. Hope I have made my point clear.

Thanks,
Gaurav.

the cleanliness of the bathroom facilities?
Baruch loses bigtime there... Horror stories. I tell you, horror stories. I found the most obscure bathroom to go to by literally the dean's office when I was there - the normal ones are completely unusable by anyone with any sense of hygiene...

I have enough working experience (in software development in startups and major firms) to say that, trust me.

Well in that case you are wrong. Or clearly never went to a college with career services that will help you find a job. Because it is up to the individual, but believe me, a great many individuals I have met have claimed to have, lets call them "good soft skills" (ability to obtain and function well communicationally and socially within a job), while virtually all were very poor at it. Career counseling isn't the art of cheating the system, it is the art of learning to better interact with it to be more productive within it. And it is one of the more important lessons I learned in my MFE.

The best MFEs will ultimately be filled 90% with stuff you will never directly use, and in depth knowledge of which will not serve any purpose for you.

There is noone that will expose or even hint at alpha to you. Noone is that stupid. Re-formulate what you are looking for IMO.

I have tons of friends in both NJ and Boston and can tell you they're about equal. Rutgers has easier access to NYC job black market, but judging by your disregard for career statistics, you do not intend on taking advantage of it. It's also a bit cheaper since it's off-the-beaten path NYC.

Also Boston has Tom Brady. And that guy just pisses me off...

Bathrooms at the BBs are about as bad, actually worse in many cases. I work at one so I can vouch for this.

If they're like this at respectable banks, can't expect much from a CUNY.

Well in that case you are wrong. Or clearly never went to a college with career services that will help you find a job. Because it is up to the individual, but believe me, a great many individuals I have met have claimed to have, lets call them "good soft skills" (ability to obtain and function well communicationally and socially within a job), while virtually all were very poor at it. Career counseling isn't the art of cheating the system, it is the art of learning to better interact with it to be more productive within it.

Hi Lyosha,

Thanks a lot for your answer. It helps a lot. I never meant to disregard the career counselling services. I only wanted to look at other aspects , the ones you mentioned in the last reply (thanks to you) also with some priority. I strongly believe that both the programs have decent placement stats to gets most of the people to atleast interact with the different companies visiting the campuses.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Gaurav.

Back