• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Boston University MSMFT program review-Urgent

Greetings!
I have done my B-tech in Computer Science and Engineering from an Indian University. I am interested to learn about Asset Management and pursue a career in the same.
Recently, I got an admit to Boston University's MS in Mathematical Finance & Financial Technology program for Fall'22, and the deadline to deposit money is in early Feb. Therefore, I need an honest review of the program and its prospects.
1. Quality of education and Professors
2. Job opportunities after graduation for international students (how career placement cell helps to find a job). Are placements statistics on the Boston University website legit?
3. Besides academics, other opportunities provided by the university (e.g. Student clubs, collaborations with other universities)
4. Do you recommend this course and university? Other schools (NCSU, Rutgers, UIUC) you prefer above this university?

Would really appreciate your opinions about the program. Thank you.

Greetings!
I have done my B-tech in Computer Science and Engineering from an Indian University. I am interested to learn about Asset Management and pursue a career in the same.
Recently, I got an admit to Boston University's MS in Mathematical Finance & Financial Technology program for Fall'22, and the deadline to deposit money is in early Feb. Therefore, I need an honest review of the program and its prospects.
1. Quality of education and Professors
2. Job opportunities after graduation for international students (how career placement cell helps to find a job). Are placements statistics on the Boston University website legit?
3. Besides academics, other opportunities provided by the university (e.g. Student clubs, collaborations with other universities)
4. Do you recommend this course and university? Other schools (NCSU, Rutgers, UIUC) you prefer above this university?

Would really appreciate your opinions about the program. Thank you.

Can't tell you that much - I haven't been through the program. But I did look at it, ultimately did not apply because it was not quite what I wanted and was a little expensive. From what I gathered, the program seems heavily geared towards more fin tech, instead of fin math (which I wanted). Considering you want to go into AM, this may be a slight step in the wrong direction. With that being said, it is still a great program and you would learn a lot.

Look at the coursework and see what you think - that is what is boils down to. If you can pick a portfolio of their offered classes that will teach you what you need to know, then it is a good program for you. I remember there being a lot of diversity and freedom in the coursework, but mostly focused on fin tech. I think I looked into their QA and Risk Management paths.

As far as job placement statistics, who knows - and that goes for every university. It is true that some universities are more respected than others, but I do not think it is possible to place a quantifiable value on that when looking at probability of getting a job. True some of the elite quant positions will probably be filled with a majority of individuals who go to top tier universities, but what are the odds you and I would land those roles anyways? Basically what I am saying, in my opinion, job outcome is mainly dependent on you. Those who network, apply to a lot of postings, and prep for interviews will have a better chance of getting a job. I can say that much more confidently that the effect of going to a specific school.

If you are considering AM, Rutgers may be your best bet. It is a little less 'quantish' due to lack rigor in areas such as statistics, maths, CS. I applied and got accepted into their MQF program, but turned it down. I had a chance to speak with current/old/new students and most of their goals were towards PM; some were even looking to get CFAs. If you want more of a buisnessy quant program go there.

Can't tell you that much - I haven't been through the program. But I did look at it, ultimately did not apply because it was not quite what I wanted and was a little expensive. From what I gathered, the program seems heavily geared towards more fin tech, instead of fin math (which I wanted). Considering you want to go into AM, this may be a slight step in the wrong direction. With that being said, it is still a great program and you would learn a lot.

Look at the coursework and see what you think - that is what is boils down to. If you can pick a portfolio of their offered classes that will teach you what you need to know, then it is a good program for you. I remember there being a lot of diversity and freedom in the coursework, but mostly focused on fin tech. I think I looked into their QA and Risk Management paths.

As far as job placement statistics, who knows - and that goes for every university. It is true that some universities are more respected than others, but I do not think it is possible to place a quantifiable value on that when looking at probability of getting a job. True some of the elite quant positions will probably be filled with a majority of individuals who go to top tier universities, but what are the odds you and I would land those roles anyways? Basically what I am saying, in my opinion, job outcome is mainly dependent on you. Those who network, apply to a lot of postings, and prep for interviews will have a better chance of getting a job. I can say that much more confidently that the effect of going to a specific school.

If you are considering AM, Rutgers may be your best bet. It is a little less 'quantish' due to lack rigor in areas such as statistics, maths, CS. I applied and got accepted into their MQF program, but turned it down. I had a chance to speak with current/old/new students and most of their goals were towards PM; some were even looking to get CFAs. If you want more of a buisnessy quant program go there.
Thank you @jarryds for the pragmatic answers. Really appreciate it :)

Back