• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Breaking into quant finance with a CS degree?

I was wondering is it possible for Computer Science grads to work in quant finance? If so what positions are open to them?

Look into quant trader roles - they are typically open to a variety of STEM backgrounds. I work at one of the big trading firms and our graduates come from a variety of disciplines incl. computer science. Quant research roles are usually looking for more specialized profiles, e.g. a strong background in probability and statistics which you normally don’t get in a CS degree.

Last edited:
A very general remark: most CS curricula don't have the kind of maths that is needed.
They probably weren't built for that.

And the maths in CS tend to be discrete data structures; little pure or applied analysis.
Just saying.

Last edited:
So its usually a degree in math or statistics? I'm assuming it has to be a masters or phd?
It depends. For a quant trader you could already apply after your current degree as I wrote. For a quant researcher your stats and probability background will likely not suffice.

Depends on ur focus. If you focused on robotics or ai, u have more than enough background to work as a quant researcher or even a quant developer at firms.

Back