• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ classes as electives for MFE

Hi, I'm contemplating a plan of study the UW CFRM graduate program. I am weighing the pros and cons about taking C++ courses as electives.

In general, I'm not the type of guy who likes high-pressure high-stress work, except on occasion. So, in general, I can't picture myself working in a high-frequency trading environment. I actually think I would prefer wealth management, or just general portfolio construction and analysis. And, I think the standard languages, for this type of work, are R and Python.

On the other hand, my BS is in Computer Science and Engineering and we used C++ for the coursework when I did the degree. So, taking C++ courses electives would probably be fairly easy for me. I could use a GPA boost. Also, I do enjoy the language itself, in terms of the efficiency of memory/processor usage, and also enjoy porting code from scripting language to a compiled language.

For example, on a non-financial publication I worked on, I ported a co-author's Perl code to ANSI C and achieved an 80-fold speed increase. This was great, because we were then able to launch a set of embarrassingly parallel batch jobs on an HPC cluster. If I could do the same type of thing, as a quant developer, for a living, I wouldn't really mind it so much.

So, I guess my question is, are there any good reasons to learn C++ besides working in the high-frequency trading jobs? Does working in a job that uses C++ necessarily translate into crazy hours and high-stress work? If one wants to work as a risk manager or portfolio manager in a town besides Chicago or New York, will C++ be of any use whatsoever?

Last edited:
Back