• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ level upon successful completion: Basic,Intermediate, or Advanced?

Dear Andy and the Baruch MFE Team

Thank you guys for developing such a valuable course. I plan on taking the course sometimes in the next 6 months.

If I successfuly complete the course, what level should I consider my C++ skill set? Basic, Intermediate or Advanced?

Intermediate. What I should also say is that the course does the essential _must_have_ fundamentals as well. The _nice_to_have stuff will fit in as you progress.

(with a number of advanced topics you won't find elsewhere).

Next?
Program like mad on challenging projects :)

Have fun with C++

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Daniel.

In my case this course is perfect althought I don't work in the financial industry nor planning on applying to MFE programs, I desperatly need to improve my programming skills and I am willing to put in the time and effort to do so.

I complete my Master's degree in Applied Mathematics from Stony Brook University and I took a course in Options pricing so this course fits the bill. I took one semester of OOP Java programming 10 years ago.

There are several web developper internal jobs openings at my company that require good programming skills in PHP/Javascript/SQL and so forth. But, I truly beleive that although C++ is rarely used in Web Development an Intermediate C++ developper should do very well.

Thank you again for making yourself available to address our questions and concerns. I look forward to learning from all of you once I join the course hopefully soon.

For someone who completes this certificate who is not a CS major (undergrad), what percentage of programming skill/knowledge/experience will someone attain compared to someone with a BS in CS? 50%? 80%? 100?

Also, would this certificate course be much more smoother for someone without much programming experience if they read 2-3 books on C++ before they took this course, or would that be unnecessary?

Thanks.

In general, knowing what variables, functions and memory is useful.

Hi Daniel
I believe you are the trainer/instructor for this course.

I have a major in finance from a reputed Business school in NY, and i also have significant programming experience in java although not much real time experience in C++ ( did take some courses during my undergrad regarding the same )

At some point in the near future, possibly class of 2015, i intend to apply to MFE programs as my double major.

In the mean time i want to build my profile accordingly, hence a strong desire to complete this certificate.
My question is, will a strong base as a java programmer and by that i mean enterprise edition of Java platform i.e J2EE help me with this course and eventual success in the MFE program.

Thanks
Anish

I believe you are the trainer/instructor for this course.

I pleed guilty, Anish :)

Having Java is good but C and C++ should not be underestimated. If Java treats me like a kid then C++ treats me like an adult with free will.

C++ is worth it IMO, even if you do other languages in the future.

hth
Daniel

Hi Daniel
Thanks for your reply. It does help a lot as it giver further clarity to my long term goals and the journey i need to undertake in order to fulfill them.
I will be enrolling in this course soon.

Thanks
Anish

I've just completed my Ph.D. Statistics specializing in Computational Finance in Purdue. I have just enrolled for C++ as a finishing school to brush up my C++ skills.
Ideal role is a quant researcher in IB / Prop / HF

Back