C++ Online Programming Cert Testimonials

konstantin.zherdev

C++ Student
Hello Everyone,

I'm very happy to complete the course today and receive certificate in the first C++ course. The overall experience is very positive. Lectures and exercises are complete and comprehensive. They give a good feeling how the language works, how to set up things (important) an, most important for me, lay firm foundations for further self-development.

Prof. Duffy explains things clear, which is not easy. Avi is always in touch and is master in explaining difficult issues in simple words.

Having also taken ScriptUni course in python before, this is the second time I confirm very high standards people in Baruch College have. Now I definitely look forward to take the next level C++ advanced course.

Thank you QuantNet Team!

Konstantin

Gboyyi

C++ Student
I completed the course and received the certificate several days ago. (Excited but complicated emotions)
I think the journey is very meaningful especially for those who have tiny programming experiences like me. To learn something new, debug something wrong and discover something unknown under moderate guidance is very very great. Appreciate my TA's @APalley patient and prompt help very much! Also, Professor Duffy's explanations are quite clear and inspiring.

Btw, although the course is a perfect introduction to C++ programming in financial engineering, I think there is still a long way for us to go. In the last level's project, most codes for MC and FDM are provided. If we need to write codes from 0 to 1 (I think it's a symbol of real master), it will be hard for me at this stage.:ROFLMAO: Hope to learn a more advanced level in the future.

And the forum's atmosphere is excellent!
Thank everyone who has contributed to it.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
MC and FDM take some time to learn (FDM took me 45 years :)).

We tried to keep the end of the course relevant to quant even if it was a deep plunge.

Congratulations on completing the course!

Gboyyi

C++ Student
Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

Lao Tsu
Familiar with the second sentence when I was young:D. But I think the first one deserves to consider more about now.
I appreciate the words here. Thank you professor!

Dessembrae Ultor

C++ Student
My experience with this course has been amazing. The course is challenging and comprehensive, but at the same time, the lectures and the phenomenal support provided by the TAs made sure that I understood everything. Moreover, the discussion forums are filled with discussions on every aspect of every concept, so that one just needs to look to get any doubts cleared. When I started the course, I felt daunted by the breadth of the material covered in it, but looking back now, it's feels incredible that in the end, I managed to learn the entire thing in such depth, as have many others who chose to take this course. A big thanks to Professor Duffy, Avi, Pavlos and the other TA's.

AndresE.

C++ Student
Just finished the course. Overall money very well spent.
TAs were very helpful and felt always available, never mind that I live in Germany with 6 hs difference to NY.
Learning C++ is valuable but having learned OOP on my own with Matlab, I appreciate the most Duffy's intro to UML and programming language design. It contributed to make a lot of order in my head about concepts that were already (loosely) available.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
UML and programming language design. It contributed to make a lot of order in my head about concepts that were already (loosely) available.

The approach to software decomposition (top-down) and recombination (bottom-up) are based on age-old and proven! techniques.

I use them a _lot_ in maths, software design etc.

How to Solve It - Wikipedia

JamalTheTrader

C++ Student
I just finished the course. My TA Apalley was very responsive at both grading and questions. The forum was very useful.

I think the biggest strength of this course is learning design theory. Some other classes and books I have seen just tell how to type code and what it does. That's analogous to teaching calculus without teaching a proper definition of a limit. In both situations, students are given a functional but incomplete view of the subject. However, this course challenges student to study how the machine operates, and why certain things are implemented the way they are. Throughout the course, I became more aware of how the machine operates, allowing me to write more efficient code and also how to pay attention to the bigger picture, designing a more flexible and better organized program structure rather than just stack codes of functionality on top of each other (making it hard to read or add on to).

Last edited:

omartwahir

C++ Student
I just finished the course. My TA @APalley and also @GONG CHEN were extremely helpful in helping me along the way. The forum was great and also appreciated the other students answering questions as well.

I really enjoyed how the lecture videos made such complex ideas very simple. I liked how the notes and forum made every exercise seem very simple but when I look back I see how much I progressed and learned. I did feel like I understand not only how to do the code but why everything is set up the way it is.