• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Programming Cert Testimonials

All,

I just obtained my certificate two days ago and I would like to say that I enjoyed this course very much. I actually looked forward to watching the video lectures and working on the assignments. Professor Duffy has this ability to seemingly explain things in a very simplified and fully comprehensive manner in a very short amount of time. Like anything else, the real learning occurs through trial and error. I thought this course was rigorous in that one has to work hard and keep pace . I have previous software development experience with some experience in C++, but this one took me to another level. Thanks to Andy and APalley for the very timely and considerate help.

Hi Daniel Duffy,

Just I have a question regarding your C++ Programming for Financial Engineering.

How the course is compared to your :
1- Distance Learning - Computational and Quantitative Finance in C++ (full course)
http://www.datasimfinancial.com/course_detail.php?courseId=16

2-Distance Learning - C++ and its Application in Finance
http://www.datasimfinancial.com/course_detail.php?courseId=32

Do you have a special discount for students (for the Computational and Quantitative Finance in C++)?

Thanks in advance.

Tarek

Last edited:
Hi Daniel Duffy,

Just I have a question regarding your C++ Programming for Financial Engineering.

How the course is compared to your :
1- Distance Learning - Computational and Quantitative Finance in C++ (full course)
http://www.datasimfinancial.com/course_detail.php?courseId=16

2-Distance Learning - C++ and its Application in Finance
http://www.datasimfinancial.com/course_detail.php?courseId=32

Do you have a special discount for students (for the Computational and Quantitative Finance in C++)?

Thanks in advance.

Tarek

Course 2 is a beginners course in C++ (with finance examples) while course 1 is advanced C++, patterns, libraries and applications.

I do have discounts for students. Please send an e-mail dduffy AT datasim DOT nl

hth

Daniel

Hi all,

I just obtained this certificate with distinction and I am very excited about that. I come from finance background. Thanks to this course, I was able to build up solid knowledge in C++ programming which I only have limited understanding before. For those students who come from non-finance backgrounds, I expect this course to be even more helpful. I have a heavy full time job and I also took some exhausting tasks such as GRE at the same time, therefore I didn't complete the course much prior to the deadline. I might have spent 12 weeks in total on the course, and most of them on weekends, more than 8 hours for each day.

Below are my comments on this course:

The structure of the course is well designed. I enjoyed every part of it. The video lectures and reading materials are clear, insightful and enlightening, which illustrate all the key conceptions with excellent code examples. The homework is interesting and challenging, which helped me go through all the conceptions taught at each level. The quiz is an awesome tool which enabled me to test my knowledge that might not be solid enough after completing the homework and allowed me to explore even what are not included in the materials and therefore further strengthened my skills in C++ programming.

The forum is one of the most important resources to help me through this course. I found lots of insightful posts from so many talented guys there. I would say it will be impossible to learn C++ in such a short term and get such solid knowledge without those guys' altruistic contribution to the community. I guess that's exactly why this course is not just a certificate but furthermore a community which one should contribute to and benefit from for good.

I am extremely thankful to my TA APalley. His feedback is always immediate, and his guidance on the course is insightful. He is much tolerant to the tiny mistakes made in the homework such as typos on comments, but very strict on the key issues of each level. His comments on my homework are mostly brief but always focused on the points I missed. I appreciate his method mentoring me, which not only provides me with necessary assistance but also allows me enough space to get through the problems by my own efforts.

Overall, I am satisfied with everything in this course, because they are all beyond my expectations!

Course 2 is a beginners course in C++ (with finance examples) while course 1 is advanced C++, patterns, libraries and applications.

I do have discounts for students. Please send an e-mail dduffy AT datasim DOT nl

hth

Daniel

Thanks a lot Daniel for your quick response.

Best regards,

Tarek

I had almost no prior experience with programming before starting this course and almost thought of dropping out but the tremendous support from my TA and others on the forum encouraged me to keep going!
The course is very well designed program, so well that It is inevitable to learn!
I would like to thank my TA @APalley , Professor @Daniel Duffy who is an amazing, funny and very talented trainer and everyone in quantnet forum for the support.

I used ubuntu till level 8 after which I switched to VS for the excel part. so if you do not like VS (like me), you do not need to use it. I found it to be a lot slower than other IDEs in ubuntu.

It was a great learning experience for me which I enjoyed thoroughly.
This is a good way to learn a tough programming language which seems easy while sailing through this course.
The study material (PDFs,Videos , Forums and conversation with the TA) were exhaustive and well constructed.
I am very confident now of my C++ Skills and will definitely want to leverage the knowledge I got from this course.

Thanks Quantnet and Baruch for coming up with this certificate program.

Regards,
Prasad

Just finished the course. Wanted to say thanks to my TA @APalley for prompt and clear responses to questions and for the numerous posts on the forum. I came to this course with zero programming experience and now feel confident writing basic C/C++ code and with the concepts of object-oriented programming. Thanks to everyone.
Andrew.

Does the english level of these course high ? I would like to follow but i'm not sure to understand everything
thx for answer

Does the english level of these course high ? I would like to follow but i'm not sure to understand everything
thx for answer
In the course I have avoided any difficult English words and phrases. So, the Englsh is kind of technical so I reckon you should be OK.

This was a great course - I really learned a lot and enjoyed the learning experience thoroughly. I started with no knowledge of C/C++ but have learned a lot over the 16 weeks and now feel comfortable programming in this language. The course is great as it teaches a vast range of topics within C++ programming that really show you how to get the most out of it, and also how to apply it to financial engineering. The exercises at each level were a lot of fun and really made sure you understood the new concepts and how to implement them. The interaction on the discussion boards and the quick and detailed responses and feedback from my TA really helped with the learning experience by making me focus on issues I might have otherwise overlooked. Just want to say thanks to @Daniel Duffy and my TA @APalley for making this a really fun and useful learning experience!

I learned many programming and C++ knowledge from this course. After completing this course, I feel confident with my programming skill and ready to join MFE program. The quality of:
TA: Thank you to @APalley for being a very helpful and nice TA. He gave many constructive comments and quick responses for my home works.

Study material: The materials cover wide range of C++ knowledge, it includes Object Oriented and Generic programming which are very important. It also include introduction to C++ application in finance (option pricing) in level 9, and I think this is a good introduction for those who will join a MFE program. Although I do not have strong programming experience, I could understand the materials presented by Dr. Duffy. Thanks to @Daniel Duffy.

HW: The best way to learn programming is by developing program. The home works are very demanding, but it make me used to C++ program and able to deeply understand the study materials.

Forum: The forum is very responsive and covers wide range of discussions, many of my questions related to the course already answered somewhere in the forum. And when I post a question, Avi and Dr.Duffy gave quick responses.

I highly recommend the C++ Online Programming course, especially to people who want to join MFE program.

Cheers.

I am finance major and have no any background about programming. Can I take this course for well? I am very interested in C++ in finance!!!

I am finance major and have no any background about programming. Can I take this course for well? I am very interested in C++ in finance!!!

As originator of the course, I think it is possible but a lot of hard work it is worth the effort IMO.

The course starts with C.

I believe a number of students without programming experience have successfully completely the course.

BTW not sure if I am answering on the appropriate thread but I have to answer somewhere :)

@Andy Nguyen

As originator of the course, I think it is possible but a lot of hard work it is worth the effort IMO.

The course starts with C.

I believe a number of students without programming experience have successfully completely the course.

BTW not sure if I am answering on the appropriate thread but I have to answer somewhere :)

@Andy Nguyen
Thank you very much Dr. Duffy, So the course introduces both C and C++ in finance, but more weighted in C++ application. Do I understand correctly?

Are you able to speak to the effectiveness of this class in helping with the Chicago MSFM Computing for Finance exam? Has anyone taken the class and been able to test out of all or a couple of the 3-class series?

Are you able to speak to the effectiveness of this class in helping with the Chicago MSFM Computing for Finance exam? Has anyone taken the class and been able to test out of all or a couple of the 3-class series?
Do you have any public test exam questions I could look at?

Back