• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Programming Cert Testimonials

It's been my pleasure studying this course and having such an outstanding and excellent faculty to help me over in difficult times and rainy days. Special thanks to my TA @APalley , the instructor @Daniel Duffy and the administrator @Andy Nguyen for their valuable assistance, as well as my fellow students and alumi (@Justine Morgan ) who helped me go through the course with their guidance in the forum. Cheers to all of you! :)

It took me 66 days to go through the material, complete the exercises and make it to the final exam. Today, I received a C++ certificate with Distinction with weighted average of 90.2%. My experience was pleasant and quite interesting, full of necessary challenges that made me learn how to code and understand all the concepts of computational finance using the powerful tool of C++.

My background: I hold a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from University of Macedonia in Greece, and a Certificate on Entrepreneurship, Strategy and Business Development from Linnaeus University in Sweden. I have a 3-year experience in business consulting, direct sales and networking, I am an author of a novel and I served for 9 months in Greek Special Forces as an Air-Mobile Marine. My specialties are sales training, development plans among small/medium companies, monopoly strategies and supply chain empowerment.

Recently I decided to persue FE studies and C++ Online Certificate was my first step, a choice I literally made in a few hours, the moment I learned of its importance in the MFE programs and the financial industry. Absolutely worth it. Extremely organized, helpful and efficient. It took me approximately 2 months to complete it with 4-5 hours, on average, daily studying. Though, my dedication wasn't exclusively in the course, but also on personal research on C++ and programming generally. It helped me understand the concepts better as I had a little programming experience before.

Thanks again to everyone who made it happen! Great job and keep it up! :) I will definately stick around for a while! Once you get hooked, it's hard to let go ;)

Cheers!

Nice, coherent summary!

I would love to get inspired! Please tell me your secret :)
well, I dont want to sound douchy, but my "secret" is simple: be the best that you can be at any given time. :)

About inspiration (let me quote from my novel) :
... the shortest path is to fall in love with your life and the things you are doing. Then it comes like magic: a happiness that flows from within and truly captures your existing reason. And that is translated as "be awesome and inspire others with your awesomeness" ... The Psychopath and the Pretentious girl - english translation ( http://psychakias.iwrite.gr )

Last edited:
This course in very solid in that it takes hands-on exercises as its major form. The connection between C++ basics and applications in computational finance is the most attractive part of the course and I think it is well elaborated. It might take some time for a beginner of C++ like me to finish the homework but it is worthwhile since the structure and order of assignments is beneficial to developing a good programming habit. The TA`s comments on my homework is detailed and in general inspiring. All in all, it is a fantastic course on the fundamentals of computational finance!

I took my final exam about a week ago and received my certificate with distinction. I registered in this course rather early but began to study it seriously in late December. It took me about 9-10 weeks to finish the program. I didn't know anything about programming before I started this course, but I believe that this course has helped me build a solid foundation for my future study in any other computational languages.

I appreciate all the help I got from @APalley @Justine Morgan @Pavlos Sakoglou and Professor @Daniel Duffy . Your prompt response and detailed explanations certainly helped me understand the concepts much better.

A word of advice for future students: final exam is not easy! Not only should you follow @Justine Morgan 's advice that you should redo quizzes and know basics well, you should also look over all the codes that you have done before and be able to write them from scratch.

Thanks again. This is an excellent course! Highly Recommended!

Great course.

Different than conventional C++ courses.
(Most of the courses teach you C++ concepts, but you don’t get the coding skills).
In this course you get both.

I took the course while doing my PhD research in Physics (University of Texas, San Antonio) and doing my TA duties (I am a TA for physics, not for C++ :) ).
Did my homework mostly in weekends.
Questions and answers in the forum helped me a lot.

Got the certificate with weighted average of 87.22 (I missed the distinction :)).

Highly recommended.
Planning to take more C++ courses through www.datasimfinancial.com in future.

Thank you very much for @Daniel Duffy @APalley @Justine Morgan and @Andy Nguyen

First I want to thank @APalley, my TA. I could not have asked for a better online experience. It was also an honor to interact with @Daniel Duffy. And equally important thanks to @Justine Morgan everyone else on this forum who helped me. This was the best online course I ever took and I am proud to have learned a great skill taught from the best.

The final is very hard, not necessarily the material, but the time limit. I think 60 - 90 minutes might be more appropriate.

I will continue with Josittus and Dr. Duffy's Boost book as I pursue my goal to come here. Thanks again!

Cary

Thanks a lot! This course looks very useful. How am I going to communicate with TA? Skype or email? Is there a time limit for TA tutoring time?

Thanks a lot! This course looks very useful. How am I going to communicate with TA? Skype or email? Is there a time limit for TA tutoring time?

During the course you will submit the homeworks directly to your TA through the Dropbox section on here - he will then provide you with feedback about your work!

Apart from that, the main form of communication is this forum where we will answer any questions you might have ASAP!

Finally, when you get to the final - it will be conducted over Skype, but this is the only time you use Skype during the course.

During the course you will submit the homeworks directly to your TA through the Dropbox section on here - he will then provide you with feedback about your work!

Apart from that, the main form of communication is this forum where we will answer any questions you might have ASAP!

Finally, when you get to the final - it will be conducted over Skype, but this is the only time you use Skype during the course.
I am majoring in math and I am going to graduate this year. I have no financial engineering knowledge background. Can I still take this class? Thanks

I am majoring in math and I am going to graduate this year. I have no financial engineering knowledge background. Can I still take this class? Thanks
Concerning content, with your math background the finance should be OK.

Have you programmed before?

Absolutely - as @Daniel Duffy said, with a strong background in math you should be fine! Actually I was in the exact same situation as you - math undergrad but no finance and had no problem with the course - I just had to do a little extra reading on level 9 to make sure I understood what I was programming!

Absolutely - as @Daniel Duffy said, with a strong background in math you should be fine! Actually I was in the exact same situation as you - math undergrad but no finance and had no problem with the course - I just had to do a little extra reading on level 9 to make sure I understood what I was programming!
Justine,
Which resources did you use ... in connection with an upcoming update I hope?

Back