• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Programming Cert Testimonials

You will have access to the material indefinitely and you can complete it at your own pace, but if it takes y0u longer than 16 weeks you will not get the certificate.
Thank you for your reply. I wonder to know when I complete the course in 16 weeks, when will I must take the final exam to get the certificate?

Thank you for your reply. I wonder to know when I complete the course in 16 weeks, when will I must take the final exam to get the certificate?
You need to submit the final level (level 9) within 16 weeks from your enrollment. You can schedule the final exam afterwards as per the availability of you and your TA, and if you meet the score requirement after the final exam, you will receive the certificate.

Hi all,

I am a math undergrad student, and as part of the second year I would be taking courses in advanced calculus, real analysis, a first course in probability and differential equations. I plan to self-study numerical methods.

I wanted to enroll for the introductory C++ course.
  1. Would it be a better proposition to enroll for the C++ having taken the above courses? For example, I think I would be better equipped to build toy programs, say, do Cholesky decomp or numerically solve a PDE. The prospect really excites me!

2. What are some best practices/tips while taking this course, that you would recommend?
Apologies for not starting a new thread.

Thanks all,
Quasar.

Quasar,
Having seen your posts + background you won't have many problems with the maths. The C++ course can be started anytime IMO.

2. Do a bit on a regular basis and enjoy it! The friendly TAs are around day and night :)

Hi all, I just finish the course.
I'm a starter in C++ and really learned a lot in the course!
Sometimes the bugs are frustrating, but the forum is very useful. By reading the threads I can always get some hint.
If you are struck on an exercise for a couple of hours and still cannot find a solution, don't hesitate to ask. Make mistakes and work them out are the best way to learn~

Hey, I'm a prospective MFE student in Cornell University for Fall 2018. I just wanted to know if the topics covered in this coursework would also be covered extensively in the MFE curriculum also?

Hey, I'm a prospective MFE student in Cornell University for Fall 2018. I just wanted to know if the topics covered in this coursework would also be covered extensively in the MFE curriculum also?
Looking at Cornell's M.Eng program, you will need a strong C++ background. Not sure about the MFE curriculum though. If you wanna post it here, I am happy to take a look and tell you my opinion.

If I have to guess, however, I would guess that they will dig in the applications and not the language itself. C++ is too big to teach comprehensively in 1 semester, so I believe the program assumes familiarity with it. If that's the case, then the course here will definitely prepare you for it, plus you will have code for financial derivatives pricing to showcase.

Hi all,

I am a 2nd year Phd candidate in applied mathematics (not top10 but top30 in math in United States ). My research concentrated on Optimization and machining learning (stochastic gradient descent and its related algorithms).

I don't want to stay in academia and I want to get an internship of summer quantitative analysts in some investment banks(like Barclay) in the summer of my third year or fourth year. If I can't get those internship chances, I will try to go into a MFE program after I get my Phd degree.

I applied to several summer quantitative analyst program(like Wells Fargo, Capital One) last winter and they all rejected me in the first round. I think the reason for that is my school is not strong enough and I don't have a very strong finance background.

I had a few experience in c++ in which implemented finite difference method for heat equations. And I had a lot of experience in Python and Matlab

So I think at this time I really need something to boost my cv when I submit to the internship program I want.

My questions here is will this two courses helpful for me to get a quantitative analyst internship in IB? (I think the answer is yes.) Do I need to take any other courses to boost my background?

Thanks!

Hey Zhongruo,
The courses we offer here would definitely make you a stronger candidate when it comes to acing technical interviews. It will be a lot of hard work going through it as well as selling yourself the right way. Countless of our members here have successfully took advantage of the courses in their career.
How Quantnet's C++ certificates got me a job on Wall Street

Also, I wouldn't do an MFE since I can leverage the PhD as well as the C++ courses in your case.

I just finished my C++ programming course! It's a great course for a beginner like me. I only had some Python and VBA experience before.

My TA always responded quickly to my questions so that I never got stuck on my questions for hours and hours.

The forum is a great tool for studying. I learned a lot from the forum and other students. Posting questions in the forum also made me more aware of the terminologies I'm using and wording for my questions if other people understand what you need. I believe that appropriately asking questions is very important when working in the real world.

This course was everything I could ask for, and it has allowed me to become proficient enough at C++ to not be worried at all about the C++ courses I will be attending for graduate school at CMU. I learnt a lot of important concepts in both object oriented programming and generic programming that I think will be essential to a future career in quantitative finance. Furthermore, I think the course has given me a great programming knowledge-base for me to continue to build upon in the future.

Most important of all, the community and TA for the course is there to help you succeed. Huge shoutout to my TA, Avi, who responded extremely fast to questions on the forums and always marked homework and gave me crucial feedback by the next day. The forums also provided me with plenty of resources and I never felt alone during the course.

Overall I am extremely satisfied and I think if you want to prepare your programming/C++ skills in preparation for an MFE program, you should look nowhere else!

Hi,
I just finished the courses and it cost me like 40 days sitting in front of computer. There might be reasons for people to learn this course. For me, I am going to apply graduate school and I need programming background. For novice like me, I strongly suggest that you could have an introduction book of C++ in your mother language. Also, do not be afraid of asking in the forum no matter how silly your bugs seems to be. You could always learn something there. And thanks a lot for my TA @APalley and other TAs. They are really helpful and patient.
I am really happy to finally access to the programming world. And hope all the new comer would enjoy this too.
Best

This is a great programming course for students who have zero programming backgrounds like me. I managed to get the certificate within the duration of 70 days, and I learned quite a lot about C/C++ coding, data structure and application in financial engineering. Thanks for my TA
@APalley 's patience and considerate help, and without you I can never finish such a long journey and get what I want.
Best.

I have just finished my final exam today and come here to share my experience. First, thank everybody who has helped me throughout this course especially Dr. @Daniel Duffy, my TA @APalley and @Andy Nguyen. Dr. Daniel Duffy drew vivid pictures of some abstract C++ concepts and provided detailed code in the video, which greatly helped me understand each level's homework and quizzes. And APalley has always given instant guidance and help to me. I really appreciate QuantNet to bring me such a wonderful C++ journey!
This is a well-designed online course for C++ beginners and those who set Quant as their career goals. In the beginning, I had a hard time understanding those materials, but when I searched the forum for help I found many other members were having same questions like mine and it's quite efficient to solve my problems using the forum dialogues. The final project was my favorite (which was also the most difficult) since it perfectly combined knowledge in Level1-8 and financial pricing models together. That's why I will highly recommend this course to my friends who also apply for MFE programs.
Again, thanks so much for this course!

Back