• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

calculating pi

This may seem like an obvious question for those taking c++ but what values/algorithms are you using for pi?

I don't really think anybody calculates it, we just use it :)
However, in the very first C++ class we used Monte Carlo to calculate pi.

I found an interesting method that uses integrals

where the function is (16*y-16)/(y*y*y*y-2*y*y*y+4*y-4);

and you integrate from 0 to 1 (I used simpsons method simpson(100000000,0.0,1.0))

Are you using the monte-carlo method or a discrete value for pi?

For now I use discrete where pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884

RussianMike said:
Are you using the monte-carlo method or a discrete value for pi?

For now I use discrete where pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884
Nobody uses Monte Carlo to get a value of pi to use in other part of the programs. You can just declare
C++:
long double const PI =3.141592653589793238462643;
. Add the number of decimals place to your heart desire. You can find find the value of pi up to thousands of decimal place online.

Even the M_PI value in the cmath header file has less decimal than the one i just post so you will be fine for the most part. The accuracy lies somewhere else.

I don't know if you've done the Monte Carlo bit of your course yet, but I invite you to calculate the number of years your PC would have to run to get Pi to that many decimal places.
Also, as a hint, one mildly common line of questioning at interviews goes something like this:

Here's something to be solved, which numerical methods would you use ?
What are the advantages of your approach with respect to MC ?
Is MC the best scheme ?
How do you choose ?
How do you speed up MC ?
When calculating a price using MC, what do you notice about the Greeks ?
What do you do about that ?

In the limit having Pi as the result of an expression may be slightly less efficient.

Recall that a "const" is not the same as "never changes". It is a hint that it won't change much unless you want it to.
Thus the compiler cannot make optimisations that assume it never ever changes.
Constants aren't and variables won't.
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/07/26/constants_are_not/

Back