• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calculus and C++ classes

Hi,

I have both a BBA in Accounting and a MBA in Finance (2000) from Baruch. I'm interested in applying for the MFE program for Fall 2008 admission.

Although I have taken calculus and a honor calculus class from Queens College before transfering to Baruch, I would like to take some undergrad classes again as non-degree since it's been a long time. My questions are

(1) Before I can take Advanced Calculus, I need to take Calculus I, II, & Intermediate Calculus; OR Analytic Geometry and Calculus I & II. Which series is more relevant? I'm reviewing beginner calculus myself so I may be able to skip Calculus I from the first series.

(2) I understand I can only take up to 12 credits as non-degree. Any other things that I should be concerned about?

(3) Also, I need to take C++ since I have no programming experience. Does anyone know of a good online program? I understand the first OO programming class in Baruch will be offered online in Fall 2007. I would like to know if there are other options, partly because I have family obligations, and also there is a limit of credits earned for non-degree.

(4) Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!

Su

I don't know squat about Baruch undergrad math courses so you probably can get better input from other members who are current undergrads there.
1) Most calculus courses in a liberal college are really light. You would learn just as much self studying. Cal 1,2 can definitely be self learned. Not sure if they have Cal III or any good courses there. Talk to someone from the Math dept.
2) Besides Calculus, make sure you use those 12 credits to fulfill other requirements : Linear Algebra, Probability, etc
3) Get a good C++ book and study at home may be your best option. NYU has some C++ certificate program that you may want to look into.
4) Ask questions. Be active on Quantnet.

Just like the HomeDepot motto :)
If you can do it, we can help !

Actually I took graduate level C++ class (classes, it's a 2 semester thing, and it's actually OOP by title, but C++ is the language used) at Baruch. It's taught by Prof. Albert Croker, who is the head of department. I will highly recommend his class.

Su, this one's for you

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

I am currently fulfilling pre-requisites at Baruch as a part-time undergrad second degree student and there is no reason why you can't too.

Classes are cheaper ($170 per credit vs $250) and you will come in as a "super-senior", meaning you will get first dibs on entry to high-demand classes versus being last in line as a non-degree.

FYI, nearly all seats in upper-division math classes (linear algebra, probability...) fill up within a week of registration.

I've just completed the prerequisite courses over the past year, and I'm starting the Baruch MFE program this fall. I can tell you what worked for me. I registered at Baruch as undergrad non-degree, though it sounds like Erica has a better suggestion in terms of registration.

In any case, I took both Calc I (2610) and Calc II (3010) over the summer. The summer courses are a bit of a grind, they're intense and efficient. They meet 4 nights a week and are over in about 5 weeks. So I was able to cover a year's worth of Calc over the summer, which was great.
The Calc I you could definitely cover on your own, it was all review for me. Calc II was harder, I was glad to cover it in a class, but also glad it didn't take an entire semester. The topics are cut and dried, basically lots of integration in different forms, and series/sequences as well.

In the fall I took Calc III (3020) which was an excellent class. I had Prof. Kosygina and I highly recommend taking her class if at all possible. The multivariable stuff is definitely worth covering in a class as opposed to just studying from a book. Her exams were very difficult, but in a satisfying, challenging way. I'd recommend getting a 2nd textbook for Calc 3, because the Larson book that the Baruch undergrad courses use has HW problems that are fine, but no really tough problems. So I found that the textbook didn't adequately prepare me for exams.

In the Spring semester I took both Linear Algebra and Probability. I took Linear Algebra at Hunter College instead of Baruch, because at Hunter they have the material split into 2 separate courses, called Matrix Algebra (Math 160) and Linear Algebra (Math 260), which means the Linear Algebra course covers more advanced material. I don't have experience with the Linear Algebra course at Baruch but the Hunter course was excellent.

I took the Baruch probability course (4120), with Professor Mayo. I like Professor Mayo but the class was a little dry, we pretty much marched through the textbook. We had Prof. Howard for one class, Prof. Mayo described him as "a probabilist". He was very good with the probability material, I'd recommend taking a probability class with him if you can.

The only thing I would do differently if I had a chance would be to take Differential Equations in the fall semester, concurrent with Calc 3. I didn't get a chance to take DiffEqs and so I need to cover that material on my own. There's substantial overlap with Calc 3 so they make a good pair if you have time to do both.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for all the thoughtful responses and suggestions. This is really a great forum!!

Su

Hi,

This is what I have done so far.

I have registered for the first C++ programming class at Baruch in this Fall as non-degree student. It's an online class.

I am trying to decide if I should take Math classes from the University of Texas (UT) at Austin's Distance Learning program. They offer from Linear Algebra, Statistics/Probability, Calculus I & II, to Multivariable Calculus. These are self-paced classes with credits. I have taken these classes except for Mutivariable Calculus years ago, but I feel I should retake some of them in addition to self-study. I can assess where I am by the end of this year, and register for 1 or 2 high level calculus classes (Differential Equations and/or Calc 3)at Baruch in Spring 2008, in addition to Programming 2.
The University of Texas at Austin :: University Extension

From one of the postings, I've also learnt that University of Chicago (UC) has a Mathematics preparation program running for 10 months, focusing on Linear Algebra and Calculus for students who plan to study Financial Engineering/Mathematical Finance. It sounds good because it has a focus. However, there is no credit or certificate upon completion.

From your opinion, do you think I should take the Math classes from UT Austin's program or UC's? I would like to make sure whatever I take will be recognized.

Thanks.

Su

Back