• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cambridge MFin vs any MFE program?

I'm looking forward to continuing my studies in the field of quantitative finance abroad. I am fond of using mathematical tools in anything, in fact i like mathematics like crazy. I also know programming (C++ and MatLab included) and have a strong background in Linear Algebra, Optimization theory, Probability, Statistics, Diff. equations etc (Financial and Economical fields included). Not to mention that i'm continuing reading books that go deeper in these topics, that are waaay out of the program (this is just so you know, that i really enjoy this kind of stuff, so you can give me an advise). So as far as i could understand from what google brought up, MFE suits me well, way better than MFin. I have learnt that there is a MFin course at the Cambridge university and looked up their program. Turned out, it was quite similar to most MFE programs in the aspect of having Stochastic Calculus, Econometric Research and things like that. Is Cambridge's MFin good enough compared to other universities' MFEs? What university would you advise that has a great MFE program and has an outstanding name?

For example, i see the university of Columbia in many rankings a lot. I have just been reading about UCLA too, turned out they have an MFE program, is it good?

Last edited:
Cambridge is a huge name in UK for sure. Though I have looked at their curriculum and I have to say, there isn't much quant in it.
Core courses

If you have no visa issues you might opt to go to Imperial College's quant programmes. Even MSc Finance at Imperial is very quantitative.

Columbia's MFE programme is excellent in US. UCLA is not in the same league with Columbia. UCLA is just aggressively advertising, that is all.

Cambridge is a huge name in UK for sure. Though I have looked at their curriculum and I have to say, there isn't much quant in it.
Core courses

If you have no visa issues you might opt to go to Imperial College's quant programmes. Even MSc Finance at Imperial is very quantitative.

Columbia's MFE programme is excellent in US. UCLA is not in the same league with Columbia. UCLA is just aggressively advertising, that is all.
What is the landscape of quant education going forward? Universities tend to lag behind industry.

A lot of things have changed since 2007, has this been reflected in academia?

Last edited:
Back