• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cambridge Mphil Finance or LSE MSc Finance?

Hi guys! I got into these two programs and now I'm struggling between the two. Hope to get some advice from you!
My goal is to work in IB or Asset Management, not to continue with the PhD. LSE places well in London but Cambridge has a better brand name in Asia. And as a Chinese student, I probably will have to go back to China.

My background:
Financial Economics major, Math minor
No previous internship at big banks
Lack of knowledge in Finance
Good GPA but weak Math background (only minor)

My plan A: Study at LSE, try to find a job in investment banks or commercial banks in Asia and at the same time apply to Columbia MAFN, MIT MFin, Baruch and Berkeley MFE (I have only GMAT scores so there are limitations in school selection. Not able to apply to NYU, Chicago, Cornell). If I'm not accepted, then I will go back to China to find a job. The job hunting process will take nearly a year.

My plan B: Reserve the degree at LSE, study at Cambridge, try to find a job in investment banks or commercial banks in Asia and at the same time apply to same schools above. If I'm not accepted by those schools, I will go back to LSE to take MSc Finance.

My though is whether the Cambridge name and quantitative course materials can help me in brushing up my math skills and my application to the above two financial math/engineering programs.

Cambridge
Pros: brand name in Asia, excellent students and network, solid math
Cons: location, little career service, too theoretical and difficult, (not sure I can pass?), hard to balance job hunting and exams

LSE
Pros: location, aggressive career service, practical course materials, industry connection, network
Cons: not as good reputation because of too many finance related degrees, fierce competition among Chinese students, may not be as good as Cambridge if I want to apply to MFE programs

I have talked to many students at LSE and some at Cambridge but still cannot reach any conclusion! I have already accepted the school accommodation at LSE and I have two days left to withdraw! Really Urgent!

Thank you very much!

Mphil is a degree that prepares you for a PhD not necessarily industry work.
I have to say that their Mphil is a bit misleading as it's really a pre-experience Master in Finance.
I would say do the Cambridge Degree if that's the one you really want to do, but I doubt LSE Mfin will be really beneficial after that.

remember that if you postponed entry into the LSE MFIN it won't make much sense because you want to get some sort of work experience and then go back to do a Post-experience MFIN.

Last edited:
Back