• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can MS in Statistics be an option to get into finance?

I read somewhere there the Columbia ms in statistics options had like 100 graduates out of which 99 were Asians. How are you going to differentiate yourself from the rest of the pack?

Sure you can take courses in finance or math finance. But i honestly believe the best ms In statistics options I have seen are in Stamford, and university of Washington and finally duke university. You do your ms from those schools, you will have some serious knowledge under your belt

I read somewhere there the Columbia ms in statistics options had like 100 graduates out of which 99 were Asians. How are you going to differentiate yourself from the rest of the pack?

Sure you can take courses in finance or math finance. But i honestly believe the best ms In statistics options I have seen are in Stamford, and university of Washington and finally duke university. You do your ms from those schools, you will have some serious knowledge under your belt

I completely agree with you on that. So are you saying that MA in Stat should not be my option? Considering my limitations, could you suggest any alternatives? By the way, I am a US citizen.

Depends what you want to do? If you want to go into big data? You would need sold quant skills but texhnologi is more important. If you are a ml quant, then statistical learning, baynesian analysis and algorithms become very important. You would have to choose a school that would develop those skills.

I paticulafky like university of Washington and duke. They have courses that are very advanced in terms of stochastic modeling and machine learning applied to econometrics and genetics. Im thinking of pursuing another masters as well as my financial engineering degree hasn't been helpful in obtaining any interviews at all

Sometimes I feel people view this forum views the chineese as pseudo-students.

By the way, this might not be the best reference, but my (twin) brother works at a mayor bank in NY (we aren't american). AFTER some months in the job he enrolled in the part time MA in Statistics program at Columbia. He has liked it so far..

Only way to know if a program is 'good' is to dig into the curriculum and see if it takes you on the right career path. And brand name.

Just wondering though - you did a double bachelors in stats, and clearly didn't like it (seeing your gpa and good GRE scores). Why do a condensed version of this again? The concepts probably won't differ much. Sounds like you would be throwing a lot more money down the same drain.

J

Only way to know if a program is 'good' is to dig into the curriculum and see if it takes you on the right career path. And brand name.

Just wondering though - you did a double bachelors in stats, and clearly didn't like it (seeing your gpa and good GRE scores). Why do a condensed version of this again? The concepts probably won't differ much. Sounds like you would be throwing a lot more money down the same drain.

J

Yea... you're right cuz that's what bothers me the most too. Regarding sad gpa(sigh), my family had a little trouble. So, I had to take a year off from school and ended up working 20-30hrs a week during school as well. But I have to admit. I liked making money more than studying.

I personally like statistics and am currently working in Data Science team as well. I now really want to go back to school and get what I had missed and take another shot at Finance again.

But with my gpa, MFE in Colum/NYU isnt realistic. My decent gre(170q,162v) won't cover for 2.9 gpa... So, since i have a better shot at columbia ms stat, I was wondering if that program can bring me to wall st. If it can get me into wall st, I won't think of it as wasting money.

What do you think? Do you think MS in Stat can be an alternative to walk into wall st? Do you know anyone who has done that before? What can i do at this moment?

If you like data science and want to get into wall street, i'd recommend a masters in computer science... don't know much about them, but worth looking into and i think it'll take you further

Yea... you're right cuz that's what bothers me the most too. Regarding sad gpa(sigh), my family had a little trouble. So, I had to take a year off from school and ended up working 20-30hrs a week during school as well. But I have to admit. I liked making money more than studying.

I'm really sorry for you but this story might not fly too high. The Admins have probably heard stories of people working 40+ hours a week and still maintaining a stellar GPA. They are not going to cut you any slack.

Back