• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can someone clarify all these terms and their differences? And other questions

Hi,

I am currently doing a quant rotation program in a big bank and I am trying to decide what would be best to choose for my last rotation. Thinking about this has led me to consider various buzzwords and I realized I don't understand the differences very well:
1)quantitative trading
2)algorithmic trading
3)e trading
4)electronic market making
5)automated market making
6)Execution

My understanding is that e-trading is the general concept of having an electronic platform where clients can trade (vs e.g. voice trading), but the trading decision itself may or may not be automated, thus 2 is a subset of 3. I know execution is about deciding how to split large orders to reduce market impact. Is this all there is to 2 as far as banks are concerned? Do banks actually have algorithmic pricers for deciding a mid price and a spread? Do 4/5/2 refer to the same thing? And what exactly does 1 involve? Is it an umbrella term referring to any type of quant work?

Some follow up questions:
- ML is all the buzz these days. Is it actually used in any way directly related to trading and P&L (ie not document analysis via NLP for instance)?
- Is there any type of quant that does something similar to what hedge funds do?
- What is the best type of quant if you aim, in the future, to try to get into a shop like Citadel?
- What is the best type of quant if you aim, in the future, to try to get into a shop like Citadel Securities?

You will receive different answers to those questions depending on who you ask.

Those 6 words are used interchangeably and have similar definitions. Some nuance- quant trading might mean anything related to statistical modeling used for trading decisions whereas algorithmic trading might mean a completely automated trading system that takes in data, applies a model, outputs trades (more narrow definition). E-trading is a word that became popular as the opposite of human trading (trading on the NYSE floor or CME pits where you physically say your trade). E-trading = electronic trading = sending an order to an exchange electronically via some protocol. 4) and 5) are very similar. 6) is similar to the above but a different area. Execution focuses on how your trades are carried out (time of day, VWAP/TWAP, order size, transaction costs, things like that).

Thank you. Any thoughts on my follow up questions (in particular the last 2)?

Back