• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career advice needed!!!

Hi all,

This is a bit long. If you have patience let me know if you could help me here. I had done my Masters (by research) on Mechanical Engineering in 2007 from one of the top universities in India. My research thesis was to optimize thermal systems through mathematical modelling. The system in scope was typically modeled using number of simultaneous PDEs and ODEs. It is then numerically solved, working of the system is simulated and finally analyzed for optimized working conditions.

The equations were discretized using Crank-Nicholson Finite Difference method and the resultant simultaneous equations were solved using Thomas Algorithm. The domain in study spanned several inches and had to simulated for at least multiple cycles (each cycle could span an hour) still equilibrium is achieved. I had to run the system in spatial and temporal steps of micro meters and micro seconds due to concerns of accuracy and stability and due to the internal dynamics. So, in short, the solution could run for hours and I needed to find the fastest solver for it. During my project I compared between Matlab, C and FORTRAN for the numerical solution and maybe due to the compilers I used, found FORTRAN to be efficient by running sample solution against each. I have publications in peer reviewed international journal and conference on my work. I was pretty confident that if I get an opportunity in mathematical modelling I could perform well.

Due to various circumstances, I had to accept the campus placement offered by IBM and never I thought that I would end up in doing a IT development job. I was given training in IBM Mainframe technologies (COBOL, CICS, DB2) and was assigned to a US PBM (Pharmacy Benefit Management) project under their Business Services Unit. Later I came to know that the minimum qualification needed for a developer in this Unit is only a Bachelors and I am over qualified for this job. The project is maintenance type with IT software has to customized on a monthly basis due to new US regulations or enhanced business offerings.

Since I had Masters degree from a good University, IBM management believed that I could take up different challenges (non IT) and I was entrusted to take up critical business projects in one of the key financial applications (drug pricing and member coinsurance) of the client. Somehow I was able to perform well and gain more PBM business knowledge. Client was very happy about it and started offshoring the work slowly to India. Now the business enhancement of the application is done in India under my guidance. In a span of 5 years the entire work got moved to India which was practically nil earlier. My role has now become a Business Solutions Architect for the application and I am currently in US in H1B visa even though I am being paid only as a Mainframe developer.

Since I am in US now I am thinking of venturing into areas which would do justice to my educational background as I see that opportunities are more. I am thinking of doing a full time course. Looking into my background what course do you guys suggest (MFE/MSF)? Is my background good enough to get an admission. Or should I work on something else before applying for a financial engineering course? Thanks.

Not to sound facetious but why not just go ahead and apply to a few programs in September/October? Your background seems to be strong so maybe you should just go for it.

I agree. Your background seems to be strong. However, you may want to try to work in a financial institution first before deciding that you want to switch to the financial industry.

Back