• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career advise

I'm looking to gain some financial experience. Looking at some financial roles that offer summer internships. Would tax or assurance benefit me if I were to apply for a quant position in the future?

I'm looking to gain some financial experience. Looking at some financial roles that offer summer internships. Would tax or assurance benefit me if I were to apply for a quant position in the future?
As in would experience/education in accounting help you prepare for a career in quant? If that is the question - no. Quant is math/stats/cs based. If you want to gain experience/education that will help you for quant then you need to stick to roles/degrees in those areas. There is no connection between accounting and quant.

I have skills in cs and maths but don't have any financial pedigree. Obviously there comes finance knowledge which I'm lacking so where would you say I acquire it?

I have skills in cs and maths but don't have any financial pedigree. Obviously there comes finance knowledge which I'm lacking so where would you say I acquire it?
Most quant internships and full time jobs do not require much knowledge of traditional finance. I hesitate to say all, but it would probably still be correct. Employers are mainly concerned about your math/stats/cs abilities. Quant jobs are filled with people from engineering/math/physics/cs. Rarely will you find someone with a purely finance background. If you want like a general understanding of finance as it pertains to quant, read through Hull's book on derivatives.

Ok thank you for your advise. As an aside in regards to cs, obviously the two languages that are used are C++ and python. I have extensive experience in python but need more xp in C++. What C++ projects would you recommend doing?

Ok thank you for your advise. As an aside in regards to cs, obviously the two languages that are used are C++ and python. I have extensive experience in python but need more xp in C++. What C++ projects would you recommend doing?
I would just grind leetcode. I am not sure how much help a project would be with regards to landing a job. I guess it would be something interesting to talk about in an interview, but would only be interesting if the project was actually interesting. So if you could find something that allowed you to stretch your brain go for it. I would check out WSO - they have a lot of forums that you may find something on. But again, grinding DSAs for C++ would probably get you through the interviews.

I would just grind leetcode. I am not sure how much help a project would be with regards to landing a job. I guess it would be something interesting to talk about in an interview, but would only be interesting if the project was actually interesting. So if you could find something that allowed you to stretch your brain go for it. I would check out WSO - they have a lot of forums that you may find something on. But again, grinding DSAs for C++ would probably get you through the interviews.
I'm going to hazard a guess that DSA's stand for Data science analytics?

ah the gold standard
data structures (e.g., linked lists, directed/undirected graphs, binary search trees) and algorithms (e.g., binary search, recursion, dynamic programming)
Ah so the basic "how to ace every cs job interview" type questions

Back