• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career as a Finance Developer

Hello,

I have a few question with regard to Finance Developer career.
I've recently earned my BSc in Computer Science and I'm currently working as a C# Developer (~2 years) in public sector practice at one of the biggest IT firms in the world. I'm pretty good at programming, algorithms and such not only tied to .NET but also C/C++. Furthermore, I also have a good knowledge of BI tools i.e. SAS, MS Analysis Services, etc.

I know, that my profile has little to do with finance programming and IB in general, however, I want to pursue my career in this field. Could you tell me is there any chance of getting there? :)

I am also planning on taking up MSc/PhD studies in a good B-School. I'm particularly interested in Operations Management, but I don't know if such studies can help me to succeed.

Regards,
Sealed

look on this website for the guide by dominic connor.. it will be a good place to start with your questions

By Finance Developer, I assume you mean a role akin to that of a quant developer. Instead, if you are looking at an IT role in the financial domain, given your back-ground, I'm quite sure you can actively start looking out for opportunities to switch now . Of course, you'll need to assimilate some solid knowledge of the domain you are inerested in like say equities, fixed-income, asset management etc. Also, be prepared to answer why you are looking to switch domains.

If it is the more quant oriented development roles you are interested in, there are quite a few things you could do. A lot of the banks have career mobility programs ; you could join their IT department, and eventually cross over into your preferred role provided an opening turns up. Be forewarned though that this is usually a laborious process with a number of overheads. Infact, hardly a handful of people are succesful in doing this.

Further education is no doubt, an excellent choice. Although I'm quite sure an OR wouldn't exactly suit your purpose. A degree in Mathematical Finace/Financial Engineering/Financial Mathematics and the like should hold you in good stead. Check out the wiki on this forum for details about colleges which offer these courses and see if they appeal to you.

Back