• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF Career Future for Part-time MFE at NYU

Hi, I am relatively new to this forum.

I am currently part-time MFE student at NYU. Just completed half of my coursework. It looks very difficult even for full-time students to find intern and full-time jobs now. I am getting so worried about the future.

I am currently working in engineering field. Before I joined NYU, I have no experience in finance. Do you have any advice how can I improve my chance in the future. Is it possible for part-time student to find intern or temp job positions?

Thanks

From what I heard, and confirmed by many NYU students, as a part-time MFE student, you are pretty much on your own when it comes to getting job.
In good time, when there are more employers than available NYU full-time students, you can get some spill-over jobs and the administrative people are more willing to help.
Now, as you said, there aren't enough job for full-time students so don't expect much help from NYU.
If you are working FT now, it's logical to try to get another FT job in finance, not internship or temp job. One way to do it is to network with alumni of the NYU program and your fellow FT students.
Another way is to work with recruiters. This is where the NYU cachet may help. Whether it lands you a job depends on how good you are.
In worse case, it will be another year before you finish with the program and God willing, the job market will be in better shape then.

Networking is a key to get a job. Recruiters might not be that interested to place people in entry-level position because as I heard they not getting paid for that, or getting paid very little. Don't look for internships, because you will have to sacrifice your current job for uncertainty. Just try to meet some people who work in the field, they will definitely give you some ideas, and may be a job. Good luck!

I did actually write a guide for pretty much this sort of problem.
MaxRum is right, networking is good, as is working hard on your CV.

Internships is an issue, not just for P/T NYU people, we're thinking about this.

Back