• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career path, from backtesting to model validation?

Hi everyone,
I am currently working in a top tier bank in the Credit Counterpary Backtesting team. Recently (last 5 months) the job is becoming awful: zero development or analysis, only implementation to make things work. I have been offered an internal move for a model validation position, mainly working on capital models and I don't know if accept or not. My dream would be a job in portfolio management/hedge funds or anyway something more connected to the markets but in my area (and in my current company) at the moment it looks tough to find something in this direction.

I am open to any suggestion, either if accept or not but also on kind of roles that could fit.

As small background, I live in Switzerland and I have a Master in Math and one in Quant Finance.

Thanks.

Model Validation ain't the answer. My advise, the the f...k out of there.

Switzerland... If I had to guess I'd say you're either at UBS or Credit Suisse. If you're keen on a PM type role, I would suggest to try looking at an internal or lateral transfer to perhaps the Buy-Side Asset Management arm of the bank. E.g. CSAM (Credit Suisse Asset Management) has a huge Credit/Loans/CLO platform, and UBS Global Asset Management is another option.. These areas typically need strategists / researchers / quantitative folks and you might get an In that way.

Back