• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

certificate programs in C++ in NYC

Im looking at Brooklyn College online certificate program and NYU SCPS live program. Brooklyn College program is a lot cheaper, $140 compared to NYUs C++ program. Question is, should I take the plunge and invest in NYUs C++ program? I feel that its more detailed than Brooklyn College . My goal is to learn C++ before I graduate from my 4yr college. I can also say that I have NO experience in any programming language.
Any advice?

Brooklyn College: Brooklyn College - Online Instruction Center

NYU: Professional Certificate in C++ Programming | New York University - SCPS

Why can't you just pick up a book and study on your own? It's a lot cheaper and even free if you can find the resources online. Those courses are not going to teach you anything too advanced. Nothing can replace hours of coding. If you think you can just take the course, put it on paper for MFE application, then you are dead wrong. We look at people who have done programming, not just TOOK a COURSE.

Why can't you just pick up a book and study on your own? It's a lot cheaper and even free if you can find the resources online. Those courses are not going to teach you anything too advanced. Nothing can replace hours of coding. If you think you can just take the course, put it on paper for MFE application, then you are dead wrong. We look at people who have done programming, not just TOOK a COURSE.
Andy,

I have a similar issue. Even though I know that coding is the only thing that's going to give me the necessary programming skills, some MFE programs want to see at least one programming course on the transcript (like Baruch).
To be honest with you, I took a book and read already 200 pages, coded a few simple things, and I think I learned more than I'll learn in my basic programming class next semester.

The thing is that I want to take more than one programming class, programming I/II, Data Structures and Algorithm. However, Baruch doesn't offer this sequence of classes and I'll probably have to take them four at the City College. Is it worthwhile ?
As a matter of fact, the book I'm reading has a few chapters on Data Structures + Algorithms, so I can learn it all by myself.

BUT, how will the MFE programs know that I have these skills if I don't have these classes on my transcript?

SO, what should I do ? take all four at the City College ? take 1 or two at Baruch and then learn Data Structures + Algorithms on my own? take none o_O ?

Thanks,
Roni.

A famous ex-Baruch student from a few years ago had taken the NYU C++ sequence and recommended it highly. The lecturer had very good notes and was very organized in his presentation and the students became proficient in C++ with the two course sequence . In terms of the money, there are cheaper ways to go.

BUT, how will the MFE programs know that I have these skills if I don't have these classes on my transcript?
Roni.

I think you can put "proficient in c++" on your resume.
When you are competitive enough to get interviewed, you will have a chance to show it to your interviewer by saying "I learn it on my own." You will be tested if the interviewer is in doubt. And this is when you can let interviewer know that you do a good job studying on your own.

Neverthless, like Roni, I am more inclined to go to school to learn c++ for the following reasons.
1) I was complete ignorant of any programming language before taking my first c++ course. I think it was a good head start to at least get know and familiar with the language.
2) I know I could do 1) on my own by reading a beginner, perspicuous c++ book. However, like it was discussed in other thread, you need to be disciplined so that you do not goof around thinking you will study later. I know I am not that disciplined.
3) I personally think I will learn more under systematic enviorment. It is just me.
However, I know no matter how many c++ courses I take, I will still have to do a lot of outside reading and study my own.

I think Andy was saying you cannot cope with real world programming tasks by just taking classes. In the real world and industry, you will have to apply them accordingly, and this is something you probably cannot learn in a classroom.

Justin,

Take a look at these courses if you are interested in Financial Engineering:

Datasim for Computational Finance

I think someone, like me, will wonder if this course will be appreciated by MFE programs.
I was told by Professor Dan Stenfanica yesterday that this course will be appreciated by Baruch MFE program. And you may want to contact other schools to see if they do , too.

Justin,

Back