• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CES

Did anyone here visit the CES this year?

I saw some videos of new products that were featured and there was some very cool stuff. The kitchen counter that heated saucepans without the need of a hob was fantastic and the iPod docking station that projected stereo sound to anywhere in the room was also very cool.

Thanks for the link. Yeah me too, it sounds like a pretty cool 3 days out in Vegas.

I've had this interest in 3D printers like the Stratasys Dimension ones, ever since I saw this video:

So I was hoping there might be some at the CES that were more on the home/consumer end of the market.

Whats the point of two screens? It looks cool. Would anyone buy this?

I could def see a use for this if you were doing Flash for example.
Top screen for animation and bottom screen for the time-line - but yeah I do wonder how practical it would be for most folks. I use two monitors at work, but would be stuck without the keyboard ;).

I could def see a use for this if you were doing Flash for example.
Top screen for animation and bottom screen for the time-line - but yeah I do wonder how practical it would be for most folks. I use two monitors at work, but would be stuck without the keyboard ;).

Of course for a desktop system multiple monitors is essential. I use 3 screens at the fund i do work at.

I think for personal use it's an overkill. I would rather have a keyboard then another screen. Maybe if it was some kinda folding laptop that turns into a dual monitor with a keyboard popping out from the side, I don't see much use for it.

I suppose if you could turn the bottom screen into a touch screen keyboard and change the key configuration depending on what language you were typing in, if you were gaming etc. this would be very useful.
Manufacturers wouldn't need to produce laptops with different keyboard layouts, so from a cost saving perspective this could be pretty cool.

I agree though as just two monitors it's a bit err odd!

Of course for a desktop system multiple monitors is essential. I use 3 screens at the fund i do work at.

I think for personal use it's an overkill. I would rather have a keyboard then another screen. Maybe if it was some kinda folding laptop that turns into a dual monitor with a keyboard popping out from the side, I don't see much use for it.

Whats the point of two screens? It looks cool. Would anyone buy this?
I could see this becoming popular. I don't see this one here being a big seller. It seems more gimmicky than anything else. If it is functional though this could be a sweet device...I'm just skeptical if they have all the functionality stuff down to have this compete against a normal laptop. Personally I'd rather have the physical keyboard than an extra screen and onscreen keyboard.

Reminds me of the courier that microsoft was exploring...and then canceled because...hey its microsoft...they don't put out stuff like that. :)

There looked like a lot of TV stuff at the CES this year. From what I could see the #D stuff has a strong showing - 3D video recorders and 3D monitor screens.

I wonder if the projectors are doing that yet?

I'm keeping my eyes out for a portable full HD font projector to replace TV. I have a few 720p projectors in the past and I'll scoop one up when the price is right.

That has to be one of the stupidest moves ever in my humble opinion. Are people really going to want to tote their phone and cord with them to be able to access their PIM data? Pickup the Playbook in your house and head to the TV room, kitchen and bedroom to check email, BBM etc, and each time you've got to worry about your tethered device coming along?

Or maybe they've got some marketing maverick who thinks that people will buy the Playbook along with a Blackberry, or maybe they're giving away free Blackberries with each purchase?

Interesting NYT article on this multiple screen setup for various job types.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/t...e-monitors-improve-office-efficiency.html?hpw

Back