• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CFA or CQF on top of MSc and MBA for Algorithmic trading or Quantitative Portfolio management

Dear all,

I am considering doing the CQF or the CFA, but have a hard time deciding which one who would benefit me most in terms of use-able knowledge and career prospects. Which one would you recommend considering my goals and my background as outlined below?

Career goal
I want to move on to a more PnL centric position – either Algorithmic Trading or Quantitative Portfolio Management. I want to own my own (or share with a small team) strategies/portfolio and the PnL.

Current Position
Since May 2011:Algorithmic Execution – designing and running algorithms to automate one of the worlds largest Bond execution desks.

Career History
2010:6-2011:4 Execution Sales Trader – Bond Execution desk in a major Wealth Management corporation
2007-2010: Desk/Quant software developer and IT team leader in a major Investment Bank
2002-2007: Software Development Engineer and Project Manager in the Industrial Automation Industry in a major company

Educational Background
2010: MBA general management – final projects focused on Algorithmic FX spot market making.
2001: Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering

Also holds a trader license for two major exchanges in Europe.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Best Regards
Explorer

Have you looked at the content of each certificate and see which one will fill the void that will help you reach the goal?
Do you need the math/programming part from CQF or the finance/regulation part from CFA?
Do you have a PnL track record that you can use to shop around new roles? How are PM positions promoted at your employer?

Back