• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CGU MFE vs Temple MFE

Temple vs CGU

• Total voters
Wanted to get peoples opinions are on the two programs as I'm currently deciding between the two. I was also wondering how they compare in terms of reputation or career placements. (Temple doesn't seem to provide any placement info)

I don't see placement statistics for CGU either, just briefly looking at the program website

“The absence of data is also data.” - Master Yoda. In this case, maybe ask each school for 3 recent alumni references, ask for phone interview, and get your own data. I did that before my MBA at a brand new school, and it helped me to go in with appropriate expectations.

I'd be happy to answer a little about this and put you in touch with one of our faculty.

One component of our program is that we work to prepare students for a summer internship before their final semester. Some examples of internships that students have been able to acquire include Capital Group, Western Asset Management, and we are expanding our network to the multitude of startups in the Los Angeles area. Some students are able to continue on later to full-time positions post-graduation.

If you would like to speak to one of our Faculty who have been able to follow and support our students here and after they graduate, I recommend reaching out to Professor Michael Imerman. If you have questions about our application process, prerequisites, or would like to visit our campus and faculty, feel free to contact the Assistant Director of Admissions Sean Gomez at sean.gomez@cgu.edu.

In this case, maybe ask each school for 3 recent alumni references, ask for phone interview, and get your own data.

Problem is this is a textbook example of selection bias. A school not giving placement statistics for the entire class is a huge red flag.

Some students are able to continue on later to full-time positions post-graduation.

If the best spin on full time placement is that "some", not "almost all", "most", "many", but "some" students are able to continue on to full time positions post graduation, it suggests that actual placement statistics are nothing short of horrific.

That would be my base assumption unless the program actually gives concrete numbers.

Hi ApolloChariot. There was a significant drop in placement last year (as can be seen in the rankings data: 2019 QuantNet Ranking of Best Financial Engineering Programs). Prior this year, our placement statistics in previous years were between 67% to 87%. This is typically why we refer students to speaking with faculty, who can speak to their student's experiences in finding internships and jobs after they graduate.

Thank you for your feedback as this will assist us with our efforts to help build awareness for prospective students.

67-87% is not bad. If I were a prospective student, I would be much more assured if placement stats from previous years are provided, even if the latest is not included.

Back