• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Chances of MSOR Admit after redirect from Columbia MSFE

I hope I'm not duplicating someone's question, but I looked through the other threads and couldn't find anything.
Just curious if the MSOR redirect is something they offer any rejected applicant from the MSFE Program?
If not so, what are chances of admission if they've put you on some kind of a shortlist?

Thanks

I didn't have an MSFE interview...they just asked to write a paragraph describing my interest in MSOR

I don't have all of the facts here, but I suspect it would be reasonably high, assuming there's not a second admissions fee. They don't want to waste your time- more importantly they don't want to waste the committee's time.

If you want MSOR, and they're not charging a fee, it's probably wise to write the paragraph. My suspicion here is that they don't want to give you an automatic admit and hurt their matriculation in case you were already set on another school.

I don't have all of the facts here, but I suspect it would be reasonably high, assuming there's not a second admissions fee. They don't want to waste your time- more importantly they don't want to waste the committee's time.

If you want MSOR, and they're not charging a fee, it's probably wise to write the paragraph. My suspicion here is that they don't want to give you an automatic admit and hurt their matriculation in case you were already set on another school.

Hi Golllini, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Fortunately the redirect to MSOR doesn't involve paying the application fee again.

I will definitely be writing that paragraph :)

Hi.
same situation with u. I am just wondering how many people will be redirected to the MSOR? How about the placement of the OR? And the attitude of the HR on this program?

Hi.
same situation with u. I am just wondering how many people will be redirected to the MSOR? How about the placement of the OR? And the attitude of the HR on this program?

Hey Jason,

No idea about how many people will be redirected.
Placement Stats are here:
http://ieor.columbia.edu/msormsie-placement-statistics

However important to note their 100% is based on the sample of students who responded to that survey. So there is some bias as those without jobs may not feel enthusiastic to reply to the survey.

I read other posts which share the consensus that this program won't lead to quant jobs and the MSFE does. But there are still many career options available with the majority of MSOR grads getting into Finance, especially S&T.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Same situation...got rejected yesterday...but they are asking me write a para. for MSOR. When this program starts? I guess its not June 2014...

Hey Jason,

No idea about how many people will be redirected.
Placement Stats are here:
http://ieor.columbia.edu/msormsie-placement-statistics

However important to note their 100% is based on the sample of students who responded to that survey. So there is some bias as those without jobs may not feel enthusiastic to reply to the survey.

I read other posts which share the consensus that this program won't lead to quant jobs and the MSFE does. But there are still many career options available with the majority of MSOR grads getting into Finance, especially S&T.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Millions of thx for ur advice! ; )
I have asked one of seniors and she said that this program's reputation is not so bad as its on the website. The placement is not so optimistic for international students in all programs.
Whatever, being an actuary is not a baffling choice for me, if not a quant. Good luck for all of us. : )

I have had my MSFE interview, but haven't heard anything from them after that. Would this mean a reject? And by when will they formally communicate the result?

I have had my MSFE interview, but haven't heard anything from them after that. Would this mean a reject? And by when will they formally communicate the result?

That's strange. According to an email I got from them, they were supposed to finalize decisions on friday.

same here. I just sent email to the adcom this morning but they didn't reply me!!! Does anyone have same situation?

What'd the email or offer page say when u got redirected and accepted to msor instead of mfe

same here. I just sent email to the adcom this morning but they didn't reply me!!! Does anyone have same situation?

Yes me too. I don't think we should worry too much, they'll definitely get the email. We just need to wait patiently till the end of March for their decisions lol
Although it would be nice if they let us know they at least received it.

Last edited:
Yes me too. I don't think we should worry too much, they'll definitely get the email. We just need to wait patiently till the end of March for their decisions lol
Although it would be nice if they let us know they at least received it.
I just called them this afternoon. The lady said exactly what you said, also they would send email back to us later!!!

Back