• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Choosing a Math heavy quant course

Should I choose a MATH heavy quant course like ones offered by COLUMBIA MATHEMATICS department or RUTGERS MATHEMATICS Department, or a course having equal weightage between math, finance, and offered together by business school and math department collaboration, considering the fact that I am pursuing the degree due to my interest in Mathematics. What will be the pros and cons in both the cases.

The finance component is less important that you think. Pick a Math heavy one, but watch out because it can get bad. I think a Finance balanced one could waste your time/units with things like accounting/corporate finance - which are kind of useless. Especially if you've seen some of the the concepts before.

As mentioned above, $ is nice too. A program that nearly hand-holds you into a top job will feel better to most than one that gives you a proper math background, and has no job placement help. If you aren't a introvert who can't write a resume can't network can't interview properly and can't well-present himself, then go for the math rigor. :P

Back