• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU Interview

Hey all,

I just received an invitation to interview for CMU. I have been checking out the tracker and it doesn't seem like anyone who has received an interview has been rejected in recent years. Any opinion on this?

I got an invitation too. My interviewer is a professor, so I'm assuming there may be some technical questions. I wish a current student/alumnus from the program could provide some information.

See
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/cmu-2014-fall-r1-interview.15783/

I got accepted round 1. My interview was non-technical, but he explored my motives for going into finance and future plans in great detail(maybe because I come from applied math?).

Also, I suspect that anyone who gives decent interview gets into the program. HOWEVER, the pressure is still on because I think you may be fighting for scholarship money. This Is ~Speculation~ but I think scholarships are common and the interview is with the director of the program (who would have the power to control scholarship money). So, killing the interview may net you some extra $$$

Best of Luck

@cab Dude do you remember how many interview slots they provided for R1 students? There are 71 for R2 students...... I heard that students who got the interview have had a good chance to be admitted, but it just seems so unlikely that they will admit all (or most) of the 71 students out there.

This is a good observation that emphasizes the speculative nature of my first post. I really don't know. Are round 1 and 2 treated the same? What is the correspondence between interview slots and students (I doubt it's one-to-one)? What is the accepted student retention rate?

All of these things are important to reason effectively but are unavailable to us. All I can say is that based on my experience and what I have read of others, the interview stage occurs after they have already done most of the cuts to their applicant pool. I could be wrong though ha

I am an aerospace engineer. How would I best prepare myself for CMU interview ? Any advice would be much appreciated

Back