• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU MSCF 2012 Fall Applicant

Hi all,

Just wonder why no one creates the thread for CMU MSCF this year. I think it should be helpful for people who is going to apply this year or in the coming years.

I will apply for this program R1. Anyone knows or can predict whether the number of people who apply for this program will increase or decrease? Jute wonder whether it will be much more competitive than last year.

This is the stat for last several years. 2008 is peak yr. don't know about 2012.
http://www.quantnet.com/mfe-admission-numbers/

I've been told that the number of applicants to last year's class was ~1100.

Andy, don't you mean November - which is round 1? That's what their website says!

Logically, this sentence doesn't make sense:

"The Admissions Committee reviewed over 1100 applications for the Fall 2011 incoming class, offering admission to about one applicant for every 10 places in the class."

http://tepper.cmu.edu/master-in-computational-finance/admissions/application-process/index.aspx

Obviously they are trying to say that they offered a place in the class to 1 out of every 10 applicants (i.e., they offered admission to 110 candidates out of 1100 applicants.)

But the way they have written the sentence, it is suggesting that if there were, say, 100 places in the class, then they would have only offered admission to 10 applicants ("offering admission to about one applicant for every 10 places in the class")

Obviously that webpage was written by someone who got well below 800V (or 170 NewV)...

I know ;)
Who wants to be the first person to add their CMU MSCF application in our Tracker this year?

Hey Andy, I almost finish my application and waiting for the last recommendation. may submit it tmr if everything goes smooth. I will probably be the first one to add the traker for CMU this year (hope I am the first one to get admitted as well :) ).

Just wonder why few people are talking about this progam up to now, I mean, apply for it.

Btw Andy, what's your opinion about the number of applicants for MFE program this year? will it decrease, keep the same as last year or hit the new record ?

Hey Andy, I almost finish my application and waiting for the last recommendation. may submit it tmr if everything goes smooth. I will probably be the first one to add the traker for CMU this year (hope I am the first one to get admitted as well :) ).
I just checked the Tracker and you are late. Someone already started a tracker on CMU MSCF :ninja:

I don't really expect an increase in the total number of applicants considering current market conditions. Additionally, last year was exceptional because people who got scared after the crisis and refrained from applying for 2 years came to apply last year once the conditions looked better. I don't really understand why would you forecast an increase in the pool pf applicants Andy!

I don't really expect an increase in the total number of applicants considering current market conditions. Additionally, last year was exceptional because people who got scared after the crisis and refrained from applying for 2 years came to apply last year once the conditions looked better. I don't really understand why would you forecast an increase in the pool pf applicants Andy!

Lot of Indians and Chinese students are getting to know MFE as it is getting famous in those countries. Hence the increased number of applicants. Also they dont know much abt the job situation.

Lot of Indians and Chinese students are getting to know MFE as it is getting famous in those countries. Hence the increased number of applicants.
Agree!!
Also they dont know much abt the job situation.
Not correct though.Even those who don't have anything to do with finance are aware of the fact that these days things are not very promising in US and Europe.General perception is, there is crisis and hence not many jobs are available.Things have been changing.

Back