• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU MSCF and NYU FM (again)

someone at the CMU program mentioned the curriculum at CMU are more structured than NYU's. They gradually lead to the complicated applications from math and fin foundation and put bigger emphasis on C++ and options. but i also heard from two current NYU students that they really love the program and enjoyed the math/finance courses. It seems they are putting more emphasis on the buy side with the market shifting that way.

Job placements are bad this year at both places. CMU claiming 80% of the Dec graduates are placed, and NYU 70%. Also <50% of their 09 class have internship offers by now.

This is a really tough decision for me. and kind of help/inputs are welcome

Is it a surprise that students at either CMU or NYU told you they like their programs?
I don't think you will find someone with both first hand experience in both program so it would come down to your gut feeling.
Why not coming over to NYC and spend a day or two visiting the perspective campuses and talk to students, faculty. If you are going to spend 50K or 100K for each program, then a few hundred to make an informed decision would sound like a very smart investment to me.
Either program is a good one and don't expect anyone from Quantnet to tell you which one is better. You can head over to GD forum if you like to read similar discussions.

thank you. I am actually visiting NYC this week.

will sit in on a class at both programs and have a chance to talk to some faculty/students there

80% of dec 08 grads at CMU and 70% of dec 08 grads at NYU placed.... those stats are not bad considering all things...

80% of dec 08 grads at CMU and 70% of dec 08 grads at NYU placed.... those stats are not bad considering all things...

Stats are nice, but more important is the type of jobs available
At the moment, there is a higher chance of entry-level employment in pure development or actuarial position for example. So the question is how many of the jobs are quantitative ...

Back