• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF (New York) v.s. Columbia MFE

CMU MSCF (New York) or Columbia MSFE?

• CMU MSCF (New York)

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Columbia MFE

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi guys,

I just got offers from CMU and Columbia. I don't know which program to choose. They are both top programs in FE.

I know CMU has better career service, but Columbia is an Ivy League university. I heard that CMU had more connection with Goldman, DB and UBS, and Columbia had more with Morgan Stanley and Citi. Is this true?

I have contacted some MSCF students, but I don't know anyone at MSFE program. Are there any MSFE students or alumni saying something about these two programs?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

First, both programs are good.
However, if you want better career service, go with CMU; otherwise, choose Columbia.

Try a different way to make the decision. That is:

Ignoring the advantages, instead, try to compare the disadvantages of these two programs that which one you cannot stand more?

For CMU MSCF, you have to take video lectures, and cannot enjoy the real campus life. In this point of view, you may dislike CMU more.

On the other hand, I don't think there are much difference between the two. They are both top programs. The only factor, that decides whether you would succeed or not, is just yourself.

Try a different way to make the decision. That is:

Ignoring the advantages, instead, try to compare the disadvantages of these two programs that which one you cannot stand more?

For CMU MSCF, you have to take video lectures, and cannot enjoy the real campus life. In this point of view, you may dislike CMU more.

On the other hand, I don't think there are much difference between the two. They are both top programs. The only factor, that decides whether you would succeed or not, is just yourself.
I just looked at the placement statistics on schools' websites, and I found only 89% of MSCF students found full-time jobs but 100% of MSFE students had full-time offers. Does this mean MSFE has a better placement than MSCF? Thanks.

I just looked at the placement statistics on schools' websites, and I found only 89% of MSCF students found full-time jobs but 100% of MSFE students had full-time offers. Does this mean MSFE has a better placement than MSCF? Thanks.

Yes, if the stats are true and credible, Columbia MFE looks has better placement results.

But you shouldn't ignore a fact that more than 70% candidates of CMU MSCF program don't have full-time experience, while Columbia MFE admitted much more experienced people. So just staring at the placement rates may be biased. You should focus more on which program fits you better. The reason why those 10% people who didn't get full-time offer mainly comes from themselves.

Last edited:
As a hiring manager, I prefer Columbia over CMU. To me, CMU just seems like a watered down MBA+ a watered down MS CS. Never really been impressed by the program, but that is just one opinion

As a hiring manager, I prefer Columbia over CMU. To me, CMU just seems like a watered down MBA+ a watered down MS CS. Never really been impressed by the program, but that is just one opinion
wow, interesting to hear a polarized opinion from the other end, as one of the mds i know only considers candidates from mscf...

wow, interesting to hear a polarized opinion from the other end, as one of the mds i know only considers candidates from mscf...
Well it is ridiculous to not consider people from Columbia. Most of the people I see out of CMU know finance ok, but are lousy programmers. Today programming skills are very important and you can learn the finance on the job (but we want people that have shown interest in finance and have domes something about it), but you cannot unlearn bad programming. The ideal candidate now is an undergrad in CS and a masters in quant finance. I cannot see a CS major getting anything of the required programming courses at CMU except maybe an easy A

Definitely CMU, Columbia Career services is horrible and too many students to begin with

Definitely CMU, Columbia Career services is horrible and too many students to begin with

Thanks for showing people why we like Columbia students better. They are there to learn, not for career services and lack of social interaction

Back