• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF (NY Campus) vs UCB MFE

CMU MSCF (NY Campus) vs UCB MFE

• CMU MSCF (NY Campus)

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • UCB MFE

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
Main things I'm concerned about:
1. there'll be online video lectures at the CMU NY campus v/s the in-person lectures at UCB.
2. Placements
3. Curriculum

Main things I'm concerned about:
1. there'll be online video lectures at the CMU NY campus v/s the in-person lectures at UCB.
2. Placements
3. Curriculum
For concern 1 have you ever been to the campus. The learning is set up very well where it almost seems as if the professor is there. You can press a button where the professor see's you and can answer your question in real time. It's probably the best live distance learning available. For placements its gonna be rather similar other then the fact that UCB takes more experience students whereas CMU takes in many students who don't have any experience and still get them top jobs. So, I would say placements are rather similar. Curriculum of CMU is more well rounded because it is comprised of 4 schools rather then UCB's 1 business school. You have an extra semester of learning, where you could take up to 10 mini's. This would be a lot more learning! CMU also has one of the top machine learning programs in the world, so being able to take extra classes in that as long as you could find an online version. Both schools are very good so you really can't go wrong, but I would use CMU.

Your the one who got me to get rid of my bias and see cmu is a great school, so thank you. Once you look at it from an objective view CMU is definitely a top school.

I wanted to get in during undergrad for CS...still want to do an MS in CS or ML there I guess lol.

CMU, NYU Courant, Cornell, Baruch were most open to my application as a non-traditional student. I didn’t have a great time w Ivy / top ranked data science and MFin. A few even said they were interested in 22 year olds w perfect GPAs and 170 GRE Q.

CMU, NYU Courant, Cornell, Baruch were most open to my application as a non-traditional student. I didn’t have a great time w Ivy / top ranked data science and MFin. A few even said they were interested in 22 year olds w perfect GPAs and 170 GRE Q.
If you don’t mind me asking, which ones were those?

I'm more interested in just CS, Applied Math, and Stats Masters programs than MFE stuff because I want to do buy-side signal generation and they tend to value that more from what I've seen. Does the same from above apply? Or would those programs be more competitive

I'm more interested in just CS, Applied Math, and Stats Masters programs than MFE stuff because I want to do buy-side signal generation and they tend to value that more from what I've seen. Does the same from above apply? Or would those programs be more competitive
CS is really hot recently... Top CS master like CMU is extremely hard to get in. Many candidates has 3.8 GPA, high GRE and over 1 top publication.
I think despite recent trend, MFE is still the quickest path for quant jobs... Applied Math and Stats are great, but to be more competitive than MFE, phd is needed, instead of master.

cs masters are really easy to get into even for top schools cuz they are cash cow programs. most failed candidates don't have required prerequisites or performed poorly on undergrad cs classes. candidates with relevant experience, e.g. fang sde internships, can get into cs masters with 0 problem. publications are overrated for master programs most of which are just taught masters. of cos, why do they even need a master degree if they are already working at fang.

cs masters are really easy to get into even for top schools cuz they are cash cow programs. most failed candidates don't have required prerequisites or performed poorly on undergrad cs classes. candidates with relevant experience, e.g. fang sde internships, can get into cs masters with 0 problem. publications are overrated for master programs most of which are just taught masters. of cos, why do they even need a master degree if they are already working at fang.

i have an extremely poor cs gpa but a strong math gpa. this is more because i had zero interest in CS at the time because the way our school taught the earlier CS classes wasn't very quantitative at all

i have an extremely poor cs gpa but a strong math gpa. this is more because i had zero interest in CS at the time because the way our school taught the earlier CS classes wasn't very quantitative at all

I think my undergrad college can top that. They taught us Fortran 95 back in 2004 for our CS101 and vim as the only IDE. Some hard core CS profs who genuinely enjoyed torturing the entire undergrad batch. From what I hear, they thankfully moved to Java later on and now Python, but I can relate :)

Back