• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU MSCF - NYC v/s PA

Those applying to CMU have to go through this tough decision of choosing b/w the NYC campus or the Pittsburgh campus. This has been discussed a number of times, but there are 2 factors that have not been discussed much:-

1. Is the career services in NYC any different from that in PA campus?

2. Since PA campus is closer to Chicago than the NYC campus (Google maps - PA is 7hrs drive from Chicago; whereas NYC is 12 hrs drive from Chicago)

So based on this proximity of PA to Chicago (as compared to NYC-Chicago), somebody argued on one thread that companies (I assume Prop Trading firms) from Chicago visit the PA campus but not the NYC campus.

If anyone has any comments about these 2 points, it would be interesting to hear.

Cheers!.!

NY campus should be undoubtedly be your first choice if your only concern for this 1.5 years is about job opportunities, Sir.

The career service resources are the same at both campuses. Companies from New York will visit the Pittsburgh campus so there is no need to worry about not being close to NYC if you want to work there post graduation. I have not heard anything about prop traders from Chicago favoring the Pitt campus over the NYC campus but you can check out the prop trading companies that students from the NYC campus got offers from. If you want to be able to network then NYC is the obvious choice. I have been in NYC for the past 10 years and would like to take a break from it so I will be going to the Pittsburgh campus if granted admission. Also, I would feel a little uncomfortable learning from a live broadcast.

Thanks everyone for your views.

Are there any CMU MSCF students / alumni who could answer my questions from a 1st hand perspective ?

mscf mscfa (assuming you are cmu students / alumni) - Would you want to share your views on this & any other differences b/w the 2 campuses ?

Thanks !

But isn't this something you have to decide at the time of application. Or you can still change your initial preference?

you have to decide at application time. I chose PA but i'm just trying to make sure i made the correct decision. Dont want to spend 100K (if admitted) & then repent ! :(

a) two career counselors in pittsburgh vs one in new york, although they're all great. sure, you're closer to a lot of employers in nyc, but 95% of the students never take advantage of this.
b) i think most employers would probably be flying instead of driving... there are interviews on both campuses. there are two ny super days, but those are during breaks and are for students from both campuses. there were also numerous times when ny students had to fly to pittsburgh for interviews.

my $0.02: pittsburgh is the better choice. cost of living is less. you have access to professors/TAs (this is the most important reason and shouldn't be understated). you're actually on a campus.

a) two career counselors in pittsburgh vs one in new york, although they're all great. sure, you're closer to a lot of employers in nyc, but 95% of the students never take advantage of this.
b) i think most employers would probably be flying instead of driving... there are interviews on both campuses. there are two ny super days, but those are during breaks and are for students from both campuses. there were also numerous times when ny students had to fly to pittsburgh for interviews.

my $0.02: pittsburgh is the better choice. cost of living is less. you have access to professors/TAs (this is the most important reason and shouldn't be understated). you're actually on a campus.
Finally, an informed person who actually knows what he's talking about.

Though I prefer Pittsburgh, I don't think NY is an inferior choice. It depends on one's personal preferences. If you're looking for a campus environment and access to facilities, then Pittsburgh is your best bet. If you're looking for more things to do away from class, NY would be more ideal.

Access to professors/TA is overrated. Most people rarely go to class once recruiting season picks up. If you're a weaker student, then maybe the in-person access to the TAs is useful. From a recruiting point of view, I don't think NY offers any real advantage other than convenience in terms of reduced travel time.

If possible, I'd try to get a better sense of who your potential future classmates would be at the two campuses and see if there is a preference on your end, after all you'll be spending hours in the trenches with them. Other than that, I think Pittsburgh helps you focus on your studies more, less distractions :x

Access to professors/TA is overrated. Most people rarely go to class once recruiting season picks up.

classmates and professors both shared job leads with me, so going to class can absolutely be useful (note: i'm not saying that you should "use" classmates and professors, but that establishing friendships and networks can help you). it was much easier for me to return the favor to classmates i saw every day than it was to those i saw only at finals. in this economy, every little bit helps.

classmates and professors both shared job leads with me, so going to class can absolutely be useful (note: i'm not saying that you should "use" classmates and professors, but that establishing friendships and networks can help you). it was much easier for me to return the favor to classmates i saw every day than it was to those i saw only at finals. in this economy, every little bit helps.

Most of the professors are from academia so I wouldn't get too excited about jobs lead from them. Agree that it is essential to network and build friendships with classmates, that's what it's all about. I'm not referring to the select few that pop up on finals day and you haven't seen them since orientation. But historically, once recruiting season picks up, there is no time to waste in a 3hr lecture. By that time, you already have a network and can see people outside of class.

Thanks, not really new. I used this site pre-MFE like everyone else. One's perspective changes in many ways afterwards.

Cheer up man, I used to be in your shoes so I know exactly how you feel. The grass is always greener on the other side. All I can say is there were times when I was frustrated in the program and I had classmates who were even more frustrated. But I look back on my time there and it was an overall good experience. Nothing is perfect, some people got exactly what they wanted and some people had to compromise a little.

Back