• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF vs Columbia MFE

Which one would you choose

• Columbia MFE

• CMU MSCF (Pittsburg)

• CMU MSCF (New York)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone deciding between the two?
What is your preference and why?

I am inclined towards CMU MSCF (Pittsburgh)
for which the only downside according to me is not being in New York. Could anyone comment on how big a disadvantage would that be?

Last edited:
CMU is a partnership of 4 departments with courses specifically designed for the field in close partnership w/ industry. I'm not sure about Columbia. I was impressed w/ Pittsburgh; students there seemed very focused on material. NYC seemed more focused for those going to interviews. Probably an advantage for short term, but I think it will catch up with them long term.

You can check the placement statistics for Columbia MFE and CMU MSCF from the below links.. Columbia have recently updated their stats:
these two look comparable. pick either one is fine. i don't think the op will miss anything from the other program

Spoke to folks in both the programs (MFE and CMU Pittsburgh) - Said that there is little (if any) disadvantage of CMU's Pittsburgh location.

Definitely CMU MSCF NYC campus. Pitts is good for academic experience but it is not the whole point of a master in financial engineering. The whole point is securing a potential professional opportunity.
I am recluctant to pay 100k to take online classes. Besides, talking with employers about experiences you ahd with your teachers and such is always an interesting topic.

Back