• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF vs UCB MFE

Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to have been admitted to UCB MFE and CMU MSCF programs. I am looking for any advice that would help me make an informed decision regarding which program to choose. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Both are top programs, main reason to choose must be where you feel you want to go !
You may consider that Berkeley's MFE is held by the Business School, whereas CMU's is highly technical with a lot of CS. Both will open you many doors and help you find a good job, my previous remark may just help you to figure out which of the two will fit your interests the most.

What do you want to do when you leave school? Linked in search is a good proxy to get a feel for alum outcomes. Can you share any of the specific questions you have? @cheron_jrm hit the main points. There is no "best school" - there's the best fit based on the individual's past background and future goals.

Thank you for your replies. I intend to pursue a career in Data Science in Finance on graduation.

Also since the placement stats havent been released for the last year by both the universities, any idea about the placement scenarios in Data Science in Financial firms?

Thank you for your replies. I intend to pursue a career in Data Science in Finance on graduation.

Also since the placement stats havent been released for the last year by both the universities, any idea about the placement scenarios in Data Science in Financial firms?
CMU's employment report talks about placement in the data science field if you take a look.

CMU's employment report talks about placement in the data science field if you take a look.
It does but i cant see the employment report for the year 2019 maybe because it hasnt been 3 months post graduation. Since getting jobs were difficult last year I wanted to know how students of CMU in general did.

Look under this for 2020

Attachments

• F16DA25A-79CC-4EF3-B0C5-FE877D81340D.png
    F16DA25A-79CC-4EF3-B0C5-FE877D81340D.png
    502.3 KB · Views: 212
I admit to both programs as well. I will go to UCB. Better brand and placement in my opinion.

Thanks a lot. I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide finally.

I would biasly recommend going to the MSCF program especially if you wanna go into data science. The program starts off with a semester long course in data science along with our two machine learning courses. You would be competitive for most data science roles after the first semester of cmu. Many students have been going that path in the program and you can reach out to them for any questions you might have.

Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to have been admitted to UCB MFE and CMU MSCF programs. I am looking for any advice that would help me make an informed decision regarding which program to choose. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Hello! Congrats on the admissions, I hope you are doing really well in the program! I will be applying to enroll on 2022. Due to the early start date of UCB MFE, how where you abll to hold and admission letters for both UCB and CMU? As the decission date for CMU is in march and the UCB starts classes in march. Kind regards

Back