• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU- Pitts vs. NYU

Hi,

I have been admitted to both the programs, which one should I go for.

Please provide your comments.

Congratulations!!! You should go to the program you think it's better for you. At least, you have the choice. There are plenty of applicant without that choice but again that choice is completely yours. You make your decision and you live with it.

Think about this, if you are indecisive making that decision, why somebody will trust you with their money to make decisions for them (manage it for them)?

@ alain,

I know I have to make the decision.....but I am seeking everyones view/opinion

I can express my preference but it should in no way affect your decision. So I won't do it :)

You need to do a side by side comparison of everything in the two programs:
courses offered, course syllabi, schedule flexibility, employment assistance, tuition, location

As we all know, NYU part-time is different from full-time in terms of placement assistance, were you admitted to full-time or part-time program?
Do you want to live in the financial center or prefer living in a smaller city far from major employers?

I know I have to make the decision.....but I am seeking everyones view/opinion
So, you plan to make a decision based on other people's views and opinions? mmm...

I was admitted to both the full time programs

@ alain,

I think experience/views is always good to know :)

It seems that you want some votes from the "audience"... here is my vote then: CMU. :)

Well :)

I would go to NYU because I like NY, I want to be close to employers, it is probably a bit cheaper than CMU. More important : as a person interested in Stats and with Stats background I would choose NYU since it offers full semester courses in Time Series, Statistical Arbitrage, Auto/Algo Trading, Portfolio Management. If your interests are not similar to mine, then my post is of no use to you. Anyway, my profile is not typical for MFE :)

I was admitted to both the full time programs

@ alain,

I think experience/views is always good to know :)

Asking for experiences and views is very different from asking about where you should go.

Yuriy, I checked the NYU website and those seemed like new classes added recently. We should talk to Prof. Stefanica about the feasibility of adding something like that to the Baruch Program.

Alain, it would be a dream come true if Baruch could add those courses to the curriculum.

It's really a hard decision to make. I think this is the kind of thing you want to hear:

I like the curriculum offered by CMU, but I also like the location of NYU. Under the current market condition I would prefer NYU a tiny little bit more.

The question is difficult because we are trying to compare apple to orange. So at last, the question of "which school" actually becomes "which feature" you regard as the most important. This is a value question, so there is no standard answer.

If you think placement is the most important, just check the statistics provided by the schools. If you think location is the most important, obviously NYU is in NYC. If you think a better match of the curriculum is the most important, CMU is relatively more programming intensive and NYU is more mathematics intensive. ...

Both are good programs. CMU costs twice as much as NYU. Cost of living in Pitt is probably half that of NYC. CMU has business school career service. NYU has location advantage. The number of CMU students is twice as much of NYU. Living in Pitt and NYC are as different as day and night. If you like capital of the world, then Pitt may feel like a small town to you. If you like C++, CMU has it while NYU is more vba/matlab.

Choosing a program is a function of how to maximize the return of your investments (time, money, lost opportunity) in a form of a job that best fits your career plan. Take into account all of these variables. Plan for best case scenario but prepare for the worst. For all we know, 2009 may be a bust.

Back