• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN 2011 joiners?

Anyone else here considering joinging MAFN for 2011? I am trying to decide between MAFN and a MSF program, would like to get your views on MAFN. The reviews on the program here is disparaging, but the several alumni/current students I reached out to had a more favorable opinion.

Thanks

The reviews on the program here is disparaging, but the several alumni/current students I reached out to had a more favorable opinion.
Would be nice if they can write a review for us (www.quantnet.com/submit-review)
The more reviews we have, the better informed we are. We can't judge a program by a single review.

I am joining to this program. My previous supervisor graduated from this program and he is very positive about it.

even i wud be joining MAFN for 2011 ... .
@ zimingsk : have u sent the accpetance? ?

Then I want to be your friend so you can tell me more about the MAFN program as you roll along there ;)

Sure Andy! I will talk to this supervisor further soon and I will message you about some insights about this program.

i will pmost probably be joining columbia MAFN .... just waiting on MSOR

so do we have to pay any amount along with accpetance ?? did u receive any other info from them after accpetance ??

I might come with you too. I contacted an alumni and she gave me an enthusiastiuc review of the program. She went there during the crisis year (2008/2009) and found a good associate position in structured products in a BB in NY.
Sounds not bad at all ^^

@Paul Mithouard that sounds intriguing! It makes me wanna email MAFN to follow up on my application... but then I don't think my math background is strong enough for their liking. Did you guys all major in math/stats in undergrad?

i got an admit from MAFN columbia on 18th of march and i'm still awaiting the results of MFE program offered by columbia CMU and Baruch. i read andy's posts in other threads and honestly i am not fancying getting into the MFE program as i submitted my application on 4th of March :P :P.

Hi,

I applied two weeks back at Columbia MAFN, but I do not care about the answer anymore.

3 of the 4 full time faculty have left. Their star Prof. Van left one year ago and his name is still on the faculty page. His classes will now be taken by Prof. Ghosh and he has no mathematical finance publication. Rest of the classes are handed over to visiting professors and few are two be announced. You can see this at the following page on Columbia's website.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/department/mafn/page5.html

With the star faculty gone and near to nothing career services, where does Columbia MAFN stand?

I was also wondering if you guys were informed about this?

@ Andy, Yes, I meant Prof Jan. He is now at Frankfurt school since 2010.

Only the Director is there-Prof. Mikhail Smirnov (Mathematics)

These have left-
1. Prof. Ioannis Karatzas (Mathematics)
Eugene Higgins Professor of Applied Probability; Ph.D., Columbia University, 1980
Probability and Random Processes, Stochastic Analysis, Optimization, Mathematical Economics and Finance.

2. Prof. Julien Dubedat (Mathematics)
Assistant Professor, Ph.D., Universite Paris-Sud, 2004
Probability Theory.

3.Prof. Jan Vecer (Statistics)
Associate Professor, Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University, 2000
Mathematical Finance.

Last month I got a reply from Prof Jan that he doesn't have any appointment at Columbia for the moment. (Exact words)

Hi,

I applied two weeks back at Columbia MAFN, but I do not care about the answer anymore.

3 of the 4 full time faculty have left. Their star Prof. Van left one year ago and his name is still on the faculty page. His classes will now be taken by Prof. Ghosh and he has no mathematical finance publication. Rest of the classes are handed over to visiting professors and few are two be announced. You can see this at the following page on Columbia's website.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/department/mafn/page5.html

With the star faculty gone and near to nothing career services, where does Columbia MAFN stand?

I was also wondering if you guys were informed about this?

A Humble Request :) I do accept that those left were "Star" Faculties. But Please don't under estimate someone unless you have been taught by him/her. Prof Ghosh has done some amazing work in Prob and Stat. Infact I am looking forward to learn from him.

Back