• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN decisions...

Congrats to everyone admitted!!

I have been admitted to the MAFN program and I have to accept (or reject) the offer by March 22. Could you tell me what it implies? If I accept, am i commiting my money, my word and everything to that program?

I am also waiting for the NYU program, as well as some full-tuition+life expenses scholarships from my country (Spain) cause I have no 60000 USD in really liquid assets as you could easily imagine. A few quick questions, how better is the placement after an internship (Courant offers)? Is there any problem in the placement if you don't have financial background (Aerospace Eng.)? What are the foreseeable expectations for the US market at the end of 2011 (in Spain are really bad) meaning if the job market is recovering the status prior to the crisis?

Thanks in advance. Great and helpful forum!

If the program requires a deposit in case you accept the offer, you will lose the deposit amount if you later change your mind and decide to study somewhere else.

There is no legal obligation for you to keep your "commitment" to any program. In fact, many pay the deposit to keep their seat until the better admit comes along. This is a buyer market and there is no hard feeling from either party. If you nix them, they will admit someone else. As long as the quota is met, it's business as usual.

Some programs hedge this by holding a large Hold queue, just like what UCB does. Some give a short time window to accept. Some require a few thousand dollars deposit.

NYU requires $250 deposit. Some programs ask for $3,000. UCB requires many to take CFA L1, take their own pre-course classes with no guarantee of admission.

I am also wondering you mean NYU has already sent out their decisions this week..do you know exactly when? they told you that? so if admited, we are supposed to recive email this week? otherwise we just screw?

Let me just clarify the question about NYU.

They have sent out some decisions already. The bulk of applicants will hear about it in the coming weeks. If you have to answer other programs' deadline, email them for an expedited respond.

If you have not heard from NYU, it's either your application is not being reviewed yet or you will shortly. Don't stress. The decisions are coming out this year much earlier than last year.

This is as much as I can say. And this is Columbia forum so please start a question in the NYU forum if you want to ask NYU-related questions.

I received an offer from the MAFN program this week and have to respond by mid April. It is one of the schools which I always wanted to go to. However, I have also secured a graduate analyst offer at a 2nd tier IB doing derivatives trading. I am having some tough decisions to choose between the two.

I notice this program need not to pay a deposit to secure a place. I was wondering whether I can accept the offer and decide at the very last minute...

Get the job. You can always go back to school.

Columbia MAFN vs NYU Poly MSFE

I got accepted this week (PT). turnaround time was about 2 months.

Also was accepted to NYU Poly MS FE (PT). not sure which to choose from. any thoughts?

Waitlisted today. Submitted Feb 10. If anyone knows what the likelihood of getting an admission is, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back